1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC randomly turns off then quickly turns itself back on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GreatCornholio, Apr 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GreatCornholio

GreatCornholio Thread Starter

Hello!

I'm looking for some advice and guidance.
    I am not a technical expert on computer hardware. I understand the basics and that's about the extent of it.

My current PC is a Dell desktop/tower; it runs Windows 7; it uses an Intel Core Duo processor. It is a few years old (I'd estimate 3 or 4 years old). I plug my PC into a Belkin surge protector/multi-outlet device, which plugs into the wall electrical outlet.

My problem is that recently the PC randomly has been instantly powering-down and then a few seconds later powering-up again and rebooting. This happens twice or 3 times a day, on average. I have no explanation for it. I do know that it's highly annoying and I'm concerned and want to do something to fix this problem before any permanent damage occurs to my PC.

Last week, I searched the internet briefly for advice, and the two possible causes that popped-up in search results were: A) overheating, or B) issues with the power cord. Given that, over the past week, in my spare time, I have totally rerouted all the cords and wires behind my computer desk, to ensure that no wires were tangling, pulling, or weighing-down on the power cord for my PC. I also totally dusted out the cabinet and backside of the PC tower, and gently vacuumed the "fan" area on the back of the PC, to ensure it was free of dust and lint. I removed some random objects from the PC cabinet (CD's, mice, keyboard, etc.) to ensure that there was plenty of "airflow" around the PC tower (presumably to ensure no overheating). I rerouted several electronics that previously shared the Belkin multi-outlet device to another electrical outlet in the room.

I'm not sure if any of these actions was helpful or not, but I know that my PC is still having the same original power-off/power-on issue; no change.

I also updated and ran the "Malwarebytes" anti-malware software, and the full scan showed no infections/problems identified.

I am at a loss at this point, and would appreciate any help or advice. I've owned several PC's over the past decade or so, and I've never encountered this problem with any of them.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you get a blue screen or any messages on the PC screen
    is the PC running hot at all - any hot air coming out of the vents

does this happen when running any particular or a number of programs

anything else connected to the
    Belkin surge protector/multi-outlet device
    have the issue of powering off

as it happens so often in a day you could plug directly to an outlet and see if its OK _ assuming your area does not have frequent power outages , dont want to that as a test and have a surge or issue

3. GreatCornholio

No blue screen.
    No error messages.
    No freezing.
    I have not noticed any hot air blowing out of the PC's vents, but I will check for that more often, just in case.
    I don't use many programs other than Firefox.
    The other devices plugged into the Belkin multi-outlet device do not appear to have this issue.

I'm truly puzzled as to why this keeps happening. Any additional advice is greatly appreciated.

4. dai

dai

try a cmos reset

psu could be failing,does it list the 12v line voltage in the bios

5. GreatCornholio

I'm afraid I don't know what a cmos reset, psu, or bios is. I apologize for being a bit naive on the technical terms.

6. dai

dai

cmos reset
    turn the computer off
    remove the power lead from the back
    take the side off
    remove the cmos battery
    move the cmos jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pin 2 and 3 and the back to pins 1 and 2
    reinsert the battery
    put the side on
    replug in the power lead
    boot the computer

you enter the bios usually pressing the del key when you see the post screens come up

it will say on the bottom of the initial post screen

7. w_tom

w_tom

Computers contain a power supply controller. It uses inputs to decide when to power on and power off a PSU. It even decides when a CPU can execute.

To know more means consulting facts such as Window's System (event) logs. Windows ignores or works around problems. And stores problems in logs, for later study.

You have a Dell. That means you have Dell hardware diagnostics. For example, is the controller told to power off by Windows? Or by hardware. Diagnostics test hardware without any Windows. Your strange behavior is exactly why better computer manufacturers provide diagnostics.

Generally, on power up, press F12. A boot menu includes one option to boot diagnostics.

Diagnostics are also available on a provided CD. And on Dell's web site when you enter your Service Tag numbers for that unique machine.

Why is the power controller telling the PSU to power off? Then power on? Many other reasons can be discussed. This simply introduces simplest that anyone who knows hardware should be familiar with.

Did CMOS change? Of course not. Deal with what the power controller sees to, therefore, decide to power off the PSU.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1097250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice