1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Randomly Works fine, blue screens or restats!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bacardimus, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bacardimus

Bacardimus Thread Starter

SOYO DRAGON BOARD P4VTP
    2x512 3200 Corsair RAM
    450watt PS
    1.6 p4 intel processor
    Gforce4 4600 ti

I just recently purchased a SY-P4VTP motherboard a month ago and started getting weird bluescreens right before Windows XP would load with a STOP: (hexadecimal memory location weird number like 8EH00092-0000) . Other times everything would run fine and the compuer would react normally. In minor instances the pc would just restart itself. (saving itself from damage due to a fatal error I am assuming)

At first I thought my power supply might be the cause since I didn't want to believe my new mobo was faulty. I then purchased a 450 watt and to no avail was receiving the same problems. I started leaving my computer on by itself for extended periods of time since it seemed once it worked for over a few hours it would run flawless... the boot/bluescreen problems only seem to occur 5-20minutes after starting her up. I then thought my ram might be faulty so I purchased 2 sticks of 512 3200 corsair a few nights ago now I am still receiving the same problems and I am out of ideas.

I plan on purchasing a new ASUS P4C800E board in the next week or two but would hate to drop 180$ only to find out I'm still having the same problem.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated or even if someone could confirm my motherboard is the most likely problem. Also I am curious if I am harming my ram in anyway with these errors and reboots? I use my computer 5+ hours daily and usually leave it running so I don't want to keep buying new parts only to have them corrupted by old ones... maybe that is just the paranoia setting in.

Could my hard-drives be causing anything? The bluescreen told me to check for disk-space at one instance and I have 1.5gigz on my Cdrive and 100gigz on my partitioned drives so I would doubt it is causing any problems.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly apprecaited, thanks in advance.
    -Collin

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Maybe it's me, but 1.5GB on your C drive seems awfully small.....if all you are running on C is Windows and apps (files, etc., on partition) why not up the C to, say, 5GB?

MBN

I have what is essentially a bare bones machine running some FTP server software and misc. files and it is already up to 3+ GB....

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If you could post the exact error message, that would help.

Also, if you run the computer in safe mode (you won't be able to do too much) but just to check to see if it will act the same way?

4. zeddy

zeddy

As AcaCandy posts, the exact error message would help.

5. Bacardimus

Okay good point ill try to post the exact error message next time it comes up hopefully in a few hours or days.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you have 1.5GB free or a 1.5GB partition? Either way it would be a good idea to free up some space on that drive. There are utilities that you can download from the hard drive manufacturer's website to test the drive. It could also be a driver and thats where the exact message would be very helpful.

7. Bacardimus

Okay I copied down the actual bluescreen message today as my computer encountered it again.

Everytime I try to reboot 1/3 times it will encounter this bluescreen at other times everything will run just fine - it is mind boggling to me.

My system is a 1.6 ghz p4 with brand new 3200 corsair DDR ram and a brand new 450 watt ps as well as a brand new (1 month old) soyo dragon motherboard a p4vtp board.

The only thing I could narrow down right now has to be the motherboard. I thought it was the ram and ps but I just replaced both and am still having the same problem so is it possible I just bought a faulty board?
    - I also reseated the processor today in hopes that might help.

The actual error message is as follow
    -----------------------------------
    BLUE SCREEN
    hardware malfunction

call your hardware vendor for support

*the system has halted*

-----------------------------------

I can't figure out what else could be wrong and the error message seems to be so bland that it could pinpoint a lot of my hardware.

Any help suggestions would be greatly apprecaited. Thanks.

8. scmazter

scmazter

Hey ummm.
    Wat windows do u use? XP goes right off when u switch your motherboard, im not sure if the other onces do.

Have u got your memory & fsb speed schyncronized?

9. A+WannaBee

A+WannaBee

What was your stop codes?? Ditto on the OS. What OS are you running?? I had a similar issue ...ie same generic message and it turned out to be bad video drivers. I updated my video drivers (from Nvidia) and it's all good; no more blue screen. Good luck and post more info.

10. ~Candy~

Please don't start a new thread for the same problem, the people who were already assisting you won't be notified that you've ventured away ;)

Merging both threads...notice how folks in the new thread had to ask the same questions ;)

I'm thinking this is related too?????

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=205649

It really helps to know the complete story.

11. Bacardimus

apologize about starting a new thread.

Anyway running windows xp... there are no stop codes that is the only blue screen that keeps appearing at random intervals on system boots.

I'll try downloading some new video drives from nvidia for my ti4600.

There is really no other information it has presented me with just "hardware failure" I wish it could tell me what hardware :)

12. ~Candy~

From your other thread, you mentioned ram. Have you tried one ram chip at a time and disconnecting everything except the bare minimums to boot?

QUOTE:
    The only thing I can think of is - excuse my ignorance as I explain this - my ide connection to my cd-rom... on my older boards I've connected my CD-ROM to an ide slot below my PCI-slots... except on this board the slot is | yay big| while the ide cable that is required for my DVD rom is about | yay big | ... so I used IDE-slot number 2 (right to the left of where I connected my harddrives) as my CD-ROM connection (the only port it would fit) under bios everything checks out fine but I can't think of anything else that could be causing this.

And that is a cut and paste quote from your other thread....please explain.......

13. Bacardimus

Yeah Ive broken my board down and run everything barebones as well as going through 3 different ram speeds and manufacturers.

Im going to buy a new asus motherboard in a few weeks and hope that I just got a bad motherboard because there is absolutely nothing else I can think of.

Also I heard someone from a different forum mention similar problems when they didn't get new drivers for their video card etc... so I'll check to make sure all of my drivers are up to date as well.

I am just baffled by this because I can't pin it to anything specifically hardware side but it specifically states a hardware problem. I still don't see how hardware malfunction or not the computer can run flawlessly 50 percent of the time.

As for explaning the other post don't ask I have no idea what that guy was talking about either... then I realized it was a quote from myself and I don't know what I was thinking so I can only imagine what you were thinking.

It sounds like I thought I plug'd my ide cable for my cdrom in the wrong ide slot.. all of my ide controlled hardware runs fine though so it must have been some paranoia.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222949

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice