1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC rapidly turning off and on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Coolleon101, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Coolleon101

Coolleon101 Thread Starter

My PC has been having strange power issues lately and now it will not boot up at all.
    Before, my computer would randomly shut down while I was using it but it would boot afterwards.
    Now whenever I try to turn it on, it enters a boot loop state where it rapidly turns on nd then off again with less than a second between each state. This goes on forever until I pull the plug out of turn off the phone power supply.

Any help you have would be much appreciated, thank you!

TL;DR
    PC was shutting down randomly while I am using it.
    Now it does not boot and as soon as I turn it on, it begins to rapidly power on and off with less than a second intervals.

What I have tried:
    Removing GPU
    Changing Power supply
    Changing ram
    Removing ram completely (Same boot loop problem)
    Removing boot drive (M.2 SSD)

--
    PC SPECS:
    Mobo: Prime B350M-A
    CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
    GPU: GTX 1060 3Gb
    PSU: Corsair TX550M
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200Mhz

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  2. austinpinto

austinpinto

hi.
    the problem is sure with the power switch or the reset switch.
    try the following.
    remove the connection of the reset switch and then power the pc on.
    if it powers on then fantastic.
    if its in a bootloop then.
    remove the connection of the power switch and connect the reset switch in the place of the power switch and then start the pc.
    1 of the 2 should work.

3. Coolleon101

Thank you for the advice. I tried both solutions you gave but sadly neither worked
    Both of them resulted in the same bootloop

4. austinpinto

austinpinto

ok.
    now things start to get a little serious.
    remove the heat sink from the cpu and clean the thermal paste from cpu and heatsink and repply and remount the heatsink.
    or if this is a custem built pc check if there no case straps ground against the motherboard.

5. Coolleon101

Sorry but what do you mean by "Case straps ground against the motherboard?"
    I don't think I have any thermal paste on me so I'll try reapply it when I get a chance to buy some

6. austinpinto

austinpinto

ok dont reapply thermal paste just remove the heatsink and re fix it.
    regarding grounding straps.
    on some case there are mettle covers that block port holes and bend when installing the board.
    just check if all of your ports can be accessed easily.
    did the pc work before what caused this to happen

7. Coolleon101

Alright, I'll try that soon. I am unsure of what caused this to happen as it happened quite suddenly.
    I had noticed a few power issues here and there before such as putting my PC to sleep but when I turned it on the next day, it has shut down instead. I didn't think much of it and ignored it. Then my computer began to shut down suddenly but still booted and then when I turned it off, it began bootlooping like now.

8. Coolleon101

I
    Just reapplied the CPU, didn't make a difference sadly.

9. austinpinto

austinpinto

just start your pc and try resetting the bios to defaults.
    if there is anything wrong in the settings that should fix it.
    also try clearing cmos.

10. Coolleon101

I reset my bios settings before the bootlooping happened. I just reset my CMOS and it didn't fix it either :/

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

DO NOT reinstall a heatsink fan that you have removed without cleaning all parts and applying new thermal compound. Reinstalling with the old compound is just asking for a problem.
    Next you list a corsair TX pw supply. Is that the pw supply you just installed or is that the original pw supply?

Do some basic troubleshooting. Do the following;
    1 System OFF, pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
    2 Pull out any add-in cards ie sound, nic/lan, raid, etc. If you do not have any add-in cards [other than video] that is fine. Do reseat the video card and be sure it is fully seated in the slot
    3 Pull out the ram. Blow the slots out with a can of air. Reinstall a single chip in whatever slot your motherboard manual says to populate with a single chip
    4 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc. Leave your keyboard connected however be sure it is connected to a rear port and not a front case port
    5 Reseat both atx and aux pw connectors on the motherboard. Be sure they are fully seated
    6 Clear cmos or as asus calls it RTC. Read your manual as to how to clear cmos. Newer asus boards use two pins that you short; older boards use a three pin jumper that you move; again read the manual
    7 Now pw ON and see if the mb will POST ie you get the splash screen, can enter the bios, etc. If the board will POST in the above config, shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If the system will not POST in the above config, then you will need to swap parts with known good units ie ram, motherboard, pw supply, cpu until you find the failed part.

12. Coolleon101

Regarding your first question, the TX power supply is the original power supply I was using with this build. I also tested with another power supply (I can't remember what model it is but I'll check when I'm home) but that didn't work either.

I have also done all of the above steps you listed and I reapplied thermal paste as I found some that I had. From testing the parts individually, it seems the issue is the mobo or the CPU as it wont POST even with just the power supply and the CPU connected (no RAM or GPU or even boot drive).

13. austinpinto

austinpinto

have you reinstalled the cpu?
    although it doesnt make any difference but if you have come this far there is no harm trying.
    if you have not reinstalled the cpu and you have thermal compound in stock just remove the cpu and try booting without it.
    on most motherboard you should get some beeps or some error that cpu is not properly installed also check for motherboard for any bulged caps if reinstalling cpu doesnt work then its time to rma the motherboard hope you have the plastic cover that covers the cpu pins.

14. Coolleon101

I tried reinstalling the CPU with new thermal paste and it didn't work. However, I tried using a new motherboard and it stopped the bootlooping! But I am unable to get it to post and I am unsure of the reason why

15. austinpinto

austinpinto

ok.
    this is the last thing that comes to my mind if this doesnt work then some1 may have to help in this forum.
    disconnect any front cables like usb, audio, leds and others just keep the power button connected and try booting.
    try with the old board first.
    if this also doesnt work then 1 last final step.
    this is a bit risky step and you will need a box the size of the motherboard.
    just take your motherboard out of the case without the io plate
    keep the motherboard on a box and only connect the power cable for the board and cpu power cable.
    thats it no other cables and try booting.
    if it posts then try connecting the hard drive and follow the step.
    connect 1 device at a time so that you can know what you connected that stopped it from working.
    also put 1 stick of ram at a time.
    do not keep the board on a mettle or any other surface only a cardboard box or a motherboard box as there is a risk of shorting the board

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice