Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pc Reboot/Or not at all dunno what to do plz elp:(

890 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  shadowcat 
#1 ·
clinteast
Hi chaps having a nightmare with pc at moment and looking for some ideas please.

To cut a long story short I was playin EQ2 and my pc went kaputt.

At first it would not boot up and kept changing the cpu size from 1500 to 2800.

Then I unplugged and replugged everything and 9/10 it would not boot up at all as in nothing would come up on monitor.

Eventually i had to call an engineer out who charged 20 quid for first hour 45 for 2nd fortunately he wasnt there for more than an hour.

He tested everything and was dumb founded. Sometimes it would boot up then freeze most of the time it would just reboot and then sometimes not even boot at all(using my pc as we speak).

He ultimately thought it was my memory so i slipped him 20 quid and went and bought some new memory. Stupidly guy behind the counter has given me pc 3200 ddr400 i swapped the memory round and it kept booting but restarting as i click on icon to log in(I meant to get pc 2700 ddr333).

My chip is amd athlon 2800
Win Xp Pro
400 W
ATI radeon 9800 xt pro
80 gb hd
On board ac97 sound cmedia

I have been reading on net that it might be my psu but i thought 400w should be enuf. I guess i could buy a larger model 550w maybe.

Or maybe its my mother board as sometimes it lets me boot up like it is now but it will probably reboot half way thru this message.

Also another note on booting up sometimes it read my memory as only having 140mb in or some other insane figure and freezes when it has a stick of 512mb in.

I am totally dumbfounded and either think its mother board related or more psu needed.
I am just unsure if i buy a motherboard do i have to buy a new case and the mother board seems the hardest pet to me to fit compared to installing other periphal parts.

Any thoughts chaps im desperate...

P.s the only thing i havent tried is swapping HD's i have one lying around. I havent touched the CPU eithter but not sure what to do on that one.

P.p.s This is a link to a SS of my heat temp on board i guess its not good if some are in the red but at the moment my pc has not rebooted for 25 mins fingers crossed.

http://xs2.xs.to/pics/04115/heat.bmp

See less See more
#2 ·
Check your fans. That 52 is kinda warm for the MB.(could be the sensors are crossed and the 52 is really the CPU) Make sure the fan is running in the power supply. That fan is the exhaust fan for the case. If it's not running, the power supply could be overheating and causing problems. A good cleaning with compressed air wouldn't hurt anything.

#3 ·
Hi for some reason its working fine at the moment fingers crossed.

It could be cos i bought some ram about a monther ago called elixir your bog standard ram for like 50 quid. I heard some times it has compatibility problems cos its not major brand. Hoping to exchange or go buy some branded stuff even tho it can be hell of a lot more expensive.

Thanks for reply mate :)

#4 ·
Make sure you have the correct RAM for your motherboard -- otherwise you will have problems with your computer. Go with name brands like Kingston, Corsair, Crucial, etc. To find out what is compatible with your motherboard, check out Crucial.com; they have an interactive website to tell you the best RAM for your motherboard.

If your computer boots, test your RAM by running Windows Memory Diagnostic. Make sure in the BIOS, your computer is set to boot from the floppy (if you're using a floppy) or CD (if you're using a CD) first.

To get into the BIOS, you push DEL or one of th F# keys -- it tells you when the system first boots up.

Run the test overnight.

If any errors come up, then I would suspect bad RAM.

To make sure it's not a heat issue, as junker39 stated, check to see if all the fans in the case are moving when the computer is running. Also, try putting a house fan on the open computer case to see if that helps any. If it does, your problem may be heat related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.