1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Rebooting under GPU load!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dkapiate, Nov 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dkapiate

Dkapiate Thread Starter

Hey, So...
    I'm having a problem After installing my new GPU, where, when my GPU is under full load, it will instantly restart my PC, and I get a green square with checker boarding around it just before it boots into Windows.
    I was wondering what this could be, cause normally when I've had lack of wattage before, it would just cut off my mouse and/or keyboard from power, until there is less load. Whereas here, it just reboots. Could this be because the cheap mini-ITX motherboard isnt able to feed the GPU what it needs, or would this solely be a PSU problem? If it is a PSU problem, is it possible to use a second PSU just for the GPU? If not, what is an affordable PSU that you would recommend? Should I be using the 115V or 230V voltage switch setting (I live in Canada)?

(More info / I am able to use it if I underclock it around 25% with only the odd reboot every couple or so hours while playing games)

Current PSU : Thermaltake 480W Butterfly Purepower

PSU specs :
    Max load = 550W
    AC Input = 100-240V 8A
    Frequency = 50-60Hz
    +5V = 40A
    +3.3V = 30A
    +12V = 18A
    -5V = 0.3A
    -12V = 0.8A
    +5VSB = 2A

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8107 Mb
    Graphics Card: Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (80 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Acer, Aspire TC-710
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Thanks! :)

Attached Files:

2. austinpinto

austinpinto

first update the gpu driver to the latest version.
    next go for a psu of 750w.
    you dont need to use any voltage modify settings as modern psu can auto switch to the right voltage after detecting it.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tested your voltages under a load? If not, do so. I highly doubt acer has any monitoring software so you are going to have to use something like hwinfo64 [free download]
    Test the voltages under a normal load AND while running a stress test. Use either prime95 or OCCT to stress the system. OCCT can monitor temps and voltages itself so that may be the better option for you.

Just an observation however attempting to run a gaming video card with an acer motherboard is just asking for a problem. Acer stuff is pretty low end and as such, an acer motherboard does not have the heavy duty pw regulation, heavy duty capacitors, extra chipset cooling, etc that you find on a high end asus, gigabyte, or asrock motherboard.
    One other thing; your pw supply, only 18amp on the 12V rail. Any decent 480W unit is going to have at least 30amp on the 12V rail. Even a corsair cx450W unit has 37amp and the cx is NOT a high end pw supply. In short IF you want to run a gaming type card, get a quality pw supply.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice