1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Reboots after WinXP splash screen (ok in safe mode)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HOBOcs, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    WinXP Pro
    Geforce video 440SE 64MB,

This pc shows bios info (as per normal) then goes to WinXP splash screen and then flickers and then reboots.
    Immediately thought it was something to do with the video card... opened the case and the card has a cooling fan that wasn't working... so assumed it was overheating and the cause.

Went out and bought a new Geforce card -- same type and still get the same problem.

This PC WAS working before customer asked me to give it a check-up.
    PC boots ok into safe mode.
    I've ruled out the processor and the memory (ran tests)... suspect the video settings in some way. I'm not sure what the original monitor was and I just hooked it up to a reg monitor (VGA). FYI, System recognizes the vid card ok in the device manager.

Searched for similar probs .. found some that have not been very helpful.
    (One suggestion is to reload WinXP and do a repair of some kind)

Looking for directions. :(

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Since its OK in safe mode, it suggests that its software/driver related.

Try a step by step startup, that way you may get a better indication just where it fails?

3. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Prob just got worse...maybe power supply related or Motherboard.
    After power off and new startup I get hi pitch alarm. Poweroff and check connections etc .. switch on...now it won't power on at all.

Has switch power 300w for a P4. I disconnected and waited 1/2 hr & reconnected and switch on... nothing. (few lights on the keyboard flashed).
    (not even fan sounds).

Ok I thought maybe the power supply.... went out and got another cheap 300w.
    Hooked up and still nothing not even cooling fans . so... put back old powersupply.

On to motherboard....

4. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    FYI, replaced MOBO, VIdeo Card and Powersupply....and now getting same prob as before. WIndows starts up.. shows splash screen and for a very brief moment flashes a blue screen with tons of diagnosic type giberish (too fast to make out). and then reboots. Agree with you kiwiguy that it's software / driver related. but how do I find out what it is?

I was about to do a Winxp Pro repair but I dont have the original disks... owner says they're out of town in "Chicago". I can get into safe mode. Or can I try a repair with another winxp pro disk (I'm a win98 kind of guy).

5. mike5532g

mike5532g

6. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Thanks Mike, I love it when people point out the obvious. I just hadn't got to the MS kb stuff. Was next on my list.

Can I use an non-original winxp pro cd to accomplish this??

Fan on vid card wasn't working.. so assumed over heating, then Power supply cut out..Mobo didn't responded when powersupply replaced. ..... aaaahhhhhuuuuugggg

7. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Tried the MS kb article.... no change (although it was a excellent idea... should have worked... since somebody has the same issue... and probably more than one).
    Searching for more info.

8. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Just tried to restore to a previous point. Still restarting...
    If only I could read the blue screen messages that flash quickly (way too fast to read)by before it restarts again.

Anybody know how to see or stop the messages from continuing

Found it: (for others)
    Go to Control Panel, System,Advanced, Startup and Recovery, and uncheck Automatically Restart under the System Failure category.

9. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Ok, able to stop and read the BSOD message....

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Then basic messages about disabling new hardware or software....restart or restartin safe mode to remove.

*** Stop 0x00000D1 (0x8C5E5C7D, 0x00000002,0x00000000,0xF66977F6)

SYMFW.SYS Adress F66977F6 Base at F6685000 DateStamp 40S9C121.

Basicially I figure it has something to do with Norton AV and the SYMFW (Symantec Firewall). I've seen a plot of posts in the MS kb related to stop messages and possible conflicts with firewalls.
    Continuing.... any help direction appreciated.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Just a tip here for getting the Stop message without having to manually pause the screen:

Go to System Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery and take the check out of "automatically" restart.

You should also be able to find some of these in the Administrative Tools > Events log under "system"

To troubleshoot any Norton issues, run msconfig and uncheck their entries under the Startup tab. You can also look for the services related to Norton and disable those.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

11. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Think I'm on my way to resolving this. I renamed the symfw.sys to .old and the computer now restarts and lets me in. I'm in the process of removing all Norton products and will reinstall with a clean version. This client had an old corporate edition and I suspect the latest WinCritical updates somehow is affecting the Firewall files. Note: I've seen the latest wincritupdate is turning ON the network firewall an dmay be in conflict with other products.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!