1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Reboots continously after repair install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MajorModeler, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MajorModeler

MajorModeler Thread Starter

I now have a PC that continuously reboots whenever I select Turn-off from the start menu. Running Windows XP, SP2,
    Anyone have any ideas? This is after just doing a "repair" of XP.

2. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

Are you getting any BSOD's? Any hexidecimal memory address errors?

I recently dealt with a similar issue that turned out to be a bad RAM stick (running a MemTest on it resulted in memory errors right from the start).

3. MajorModeler

No error messages. It just goes through the expected shutdown sequence, as far as I can tell, but instead of turning stuff off at the end, it just re-boots.

4. peacox

peacox

Right click on my computer to get system properties, on the advanced tab, select settings in startup and recovery. Under system failure, remove the tick against Automatically restart, OK your way back out then shutdown, you should get a BSOD with some diagnostic data.
    Auto restart is set by default when you install windows.
    HTH

5. MajorModeler

O.K. - did that. Still reboots after being told to turn off. No error file written.
    I am somewhat limited in my options as the Keyboard is not recognized after Win XP boots up. It is fine for messing around in the BIOS settings and such, just not after the boot cycle is complete. :)

6. peacox

peacox

Two other causes of this can be the Direct CD component of Roxio's Easy CD creator version 5 and any of the "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" settings in the Power Management settings of various device properties, particularly Ethernet controllers, Modems, USB mice (mouses), Keyboards.
    HTH

7. MajorModeler

I guess it takes a couple of cycles to pick up new settings. Anyway, now the machine halts as you described earlier. The halt code id :00000(or however many)07E. There are 4 other hex numbers in parens after that. I have not been able to find any dump file that has been generated.
    I do not have Nero of any version installed, and as far as I know, I do not have any devices set up to do a "sleep" or power down on their own. Nor are they set for a "wakeup".

8. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

I'm sticking with my original suspicion of bad RAM being the culprit, as those hex values are memory addresses. Try running Memtest86 on your memory and see if any errors pop up (if you have multiple sticks, test each one separately to track down the erroneous stick easier ;)).

9. MajorModeler

Hi Shadow,
    I had tested earlier, but just started repeating the test. Earlier, no errors showed up. I ran MemTest86+, version 2.1 before, and for a bit earlier today. No errors. One curiosity, though. I have 4 gigs, consisting of 4 sticks in the machine. The description shows 4095M. That part is fine. The testing shows testing from effectively 0 to 2048M, then 2048 to 3396M or so, then from 4096 to 4864. Nothing between 3396 and 4095!!
    I started MemTest86, version 3.4 and it does the same. So far, no errors. I will let run awhile and then see...

10. MajorModeler

Shadow -
    The memory tests seem to start at 120K. Is there an option to shift the code higher and test the lower 120k?
    Do you know why the tech info for MemTest says that memory above 3 gig is not safe to test? In the descriptions of the changes he said that the upper memory limits had been tested to 6 gig.

11. MajorModeler

Just to update everyone, the Mem Test ran through 9 cycles with 0 problems, and 3 passes on the decay test with no errors.
    Any other ideas before I reformat the boot drive and do a complete re-install?

12. peacox

peacox

MajorModeler, I've just reread all your posts and have three questions:-
    You had just done a repair install of windows,- for what reason?
    After the repair install did you install the chipset drivers for your motherboard?
    You mentioned keyboard problem, is it a wireless keyboard via USB or a USB connected keyboard?
    Four questions, - can you borrow a PS2 keyboard and try it with that, there is evidence that the driver USBPORT.sys can cause this problem.

13. MajorModeler

1. Repair done because the USB ports were not working. Now they are.
    2. I did re-install the motherboard chip set drivers.
    3. The keyboard is a PS2 type.
    4. I tried another PS2 keyboard - same result.

14. MajorModeler

Any last minute suggestions before I trash it all and start over??? :)

15. peacox

peacox

As a matter of interest what make and model of motherboard is it.
    Im currently working on a similar situation and so far have reinstalled windows, replaced the power supply, all of the ram, the hdd and cables did another install and have reflashed the bios. The only thing that has changed is the error code which is now 0x0000006b.
    I have just purchased a replacement cpu and after that I have my eye on a replacement motherboard.
    One thing you could check for is what is known as 'bad caps' that is the failure of some or all of those capacitors mounted on the motherboard around the cpu.
    If they show a bulge in the top of the can or any brown discharge, then they have failed.
    Unfortunately there is a saying that goes 'not all bad caps bulge, but all bulging caps are bad'.
    Good luck and let us know if/how you fix it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice