PC reboots when playing/launching video games

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Fortism

Hello!
So my PC has started to reboot itself any time I run a video game. I haven't had any similar issues in the past at all. It went from being fully functional to not being able to play games at all over the course of an hour.
I was playing WoW last night and the PC randomly rebooted. (This is probably a big red flag but being as inexperienced as I am I didn't think much of it.) Since it booted back up by itself I said "Weird" but continued on playing. After about 30 minutes more of playing it rebooted again at which point even I noticed the red flag. I also picked up a faint scent of something burning which concerned me. I tried to troubleshoot for a little while but couldn't find anything wrong so I attempted to launch the game again but at this point it instantly rebooted the PC as soon as ingame rendering started taking place.
I received som help from a friend to help narrow down the issue and he recommended that I stress test both the GPU and the CPU. I downloaded the CPU stress tester "Prime 95" and monitored the temperatures of the CPU using HWMonitor. Nothing out of the ordinary here. Even with all the cores working at full capacity the computer didn't restart and there were no spiking temperatures. I then downloaded "Unigine Heaven" to stress test the GPU and just like with the game it instantly rebooted the PC as soon as the rendering started taking place leaving me to thing the GPU is fried.
Now with this information at hand I started to search for answers on Google. Most of the answers I found pointed to it either being the power supply being worn and not being able to power the GPU or the GPU itself is fried and causes the reboot or some rare cases of the motherboard not functioning properly. The PC was purchased 2014 with the GPU upgraded at 2015 so all components are at least 5 years old so it could be either of the options. Since I'm VERY low on cash right now due to the complications of Covid-19 I'd like to be certain where the issue lies so I don't go spending unnecessary money to fix it.

Now to my question.
Is there any way I could narrow it down even further and see wether it's the GPU or the PSU (or anything else) that is causing the issue? I currently don't have a replacement graphics card to switch out so if it's possible to analyze error logs or something of the sort that would be prefered.

My specs:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 17763, Installed 20190116025316.000000+120
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
Hard Drives: C: 464 GB (50 GB Free); D: 931 GB (111 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. B85M-G, ver Rev X.0x, s/n 140425245113659
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Enabled and Updated

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What is the brand name and exact model number and wattage of the power supply unit?

Be patient until one of the hardware/gaming experts here replies to you.

--------------------------------------------------

crjdriver

First of all, why use hwmonitor when you have purpose designed monitoring software available from the asus site?
Here is a link to the support page for your motherboard;
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/B85MG/HelpDesk_Download/
Download and install asus probe. Note probe can be somewhat temperamental so if it does not work, then use hwm.

Once you have probe installed, post the following info; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice. Once under a normal load and again while running prime95. Let prime95 run for at least two min to stabilize temps/voltages.
Next answer the question Frank asked ie what exact pw supply do you have installed?

From you first two sentences it sounds like eveything was fine and then it all went downhill rather quick, once you get your hardware screenshots up it as cjdriver advised it will be a great start to see what's going on because it sounds like you either have a power problem or possibly a failing GPU. If you have a failed GPU at least your 4790 has iGPU to tide you over until you get a new GPU.

Fortism

Thanks for the responses guys.
What is the brand name and exact model number and wattage of the power supply unit?
The brand and model is: Cooler Master B500, 500W PSU. (This was also on written on the order if you need it: RS500-ACABM3-E1)

Download and install asus probe. Note probe can be somewhat temperamental so if it does not work, then use hwm.
I downloaded and installed Asus Probe but I couldn't get it to work properly. Hopefully HWM is good enough.

Once you have probe installed, post the following info; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice. Once under a normal load and again while running prime95.
Screenshot under a normal load:
CPU temp and Voltage Idle.png

Screenshot after 2 minutes of stress test:
CPU temp and Voltage After Test.png

crjdriver

Your temps and voltages look ok. This somewhat points at a failing video card. The best test would be to swap in another video card and see if you still have the problem. Your processor does have onchip video so you can use that however the intel video is not in any sense up to a gtx980.

Fortism

Your temps and voltages look ok. This somewhat points at a failing video card. The best test would be to swap in another video card and see if you still have the problem. Your processor does have onchip video so you can use that however the intel video is not in any sense up to a gtx980.
Okay so... Interesting update. I switched over to the integrated graphics card. Switched over so my cables were attached to the motherboard rather than the 980 and booted up WoW. After about 5 minutes of having the game open the PC rebooted again. Does this tell you guys anything?

Fortism

Worth to note is that I didn't actually unplug the 980. It is still inside the PC. But I figured since I enabled the integrated GPU in the BIOS and switched over the cables it wouldn't use the 980? Especially since I couldn't access the "Nvidia Control Panel" when right clicking on my Desktop or am I completely wrong here?

crjdriver

No, you need to pull the video card out for any testing. Note there is a latch that must be depressed to remove the card. Do not just yank it out without releasing the latch; you will break the mb or card.

Fortism

Okay so I pulled out the graphics card and now it's definetly running on the internal GPU. I'm curious wether using the internal GPU to play WoW (which is a fairly low demanding game) is going to burn it out since it's a massive bottleneck compared to the actual CPU and the amount of RAM I have.

No it won't "burn out" but obviously won't have the same FPS. If you want a new GPU a 4GB GTX 1650 super is faster than a GTX 980 (non ti) with way less power draw and a few more features.

Fortism

UPDATE:
My friend brought over his old GPU today and we tried plugging that in to see if the PC would run any games without crashing. After about 30 seconds ingame the PC turned off the same way it did before only this time it didn't boot up again right after (like it did before). As a matter of fact it doesn't turn on at all anymore. When pushing the power button the light will turn on for a split second but nothing will actually happen.

I tried plugging everything out and just having the power cable without any screens or USB-devices connected and not even then does it turn on. Still the same split second flicker but nothing more.
Worth noting is that the none of the fans start at all. However, there is power going to the USB-devices. Once I plugged in my external sound card it was receiving power from the motherboard. And the little green light on the motherboard is also turned on.

If I understand correctly, the good news is it's probably not the GPU that's the problem anymore but the bad news is that it's probably the motherboard that is faulty at this point which is gonna be tricky to replace. There is also small chance that it's the PSU that is the issue.

What can you guys make of this new info?
And do you have any tips on how to isolate what part is causing the issue?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online