1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Recovery Issue - Can see old data but can't retrieve

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jakey, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jakey

Jakey Thread Starter

Hello Guys,

I was installing new software and the computer basically hung.

First off, it started and nothing appeared on desktop, ctrl+alt+del worked but could not open any programs.
    Was told bluetooth licence was invalid!!
    Then icons did appear after 3-4 restarts and an address bar appeared at bottom of page for internet, quite weird.
    Could not open internet, microsoft outlook, no connection. Sort of looked like it was half in normal state and half in safe mode.
    Then inserted All in One PC recovery disc and computer did PC recovery. Did not look like it was actually using the discs though.

New start up and new user created, all no problems other than loss of other information.
    (done back up 2 weeks ago) favourites gone from internet, microsoft office not re-installed, outlook data gone!

Next step, I used [email protected] File Recovery to search computer and I can see all my old files, up to date. They are on old user, Jo Mansfield, I called new user BRM for no apparent reason. When clicked on recover for old files, said not to write on same folder as may overwrite other data etc, clicked to proceed and said been confirmed with warning but nothing seems to happen.

Can I change back to old user some how. Do you know why 'recover' is not recovering files?

Any suggestions and help appreciated. Please reply with any additional information you may need.

I do not want to re-install Office as I think is still on there and might overwrite something I need.

Cheers
    Jo

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

3. Jakey

Jakey Thread Starter

Thanks Frank,

I do not have access denied message. PC was playing up, did the PC recovery and expected different results. The program [email protected] Recovery, has found all the files under my old Windows username but I can't seem to recover back to C drive. I get a warning that re-writing on same disc could casue issue and it does not recover. I can recover files to USB.

Basically wondering if I can go to XP, remove the new user I have created with PC recovery and place back in old user (that is still there but not default). Can I re-install microsoft office from recovery files?

?? confused now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/613009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice