1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Remote w/ Lego IR tower

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ALKERguitar, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ALKERguitar

ALKERguitar Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I've been trying to set up PC Remote on my computer, and it works allright, but my infrared tower is kinda funky. I have the Lego Mindstorms serial IR tower and it definitely works for the purpose it was designed for (Lego Mindstorms projects). The IR tower has a green LED on it that tells whether or not it is searching for a signal. For the purpose of testing out PCremote, every time I wanted to receive a command I would have to disable the origin (the tower), re-enable it, then quickly do whatever learning or testing was required. When you re-enable it, the light turns on for about ten seconds. I was wondering if you knew of a way to make my IR tower constantly in "accepting" status? Thank you ever so much,

~Alker

2. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Did you try taking this question to their tech support?

3. ALKERguitar

I could only find one e-mail address for the PC remote program, in the FAQ file, the Readme file, the about section of the program, and the site I got it from... I e-mailed that address and have not received a response. As for Lego, they don't support it any more because they released the USB version.

~Alker

4. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

I hate to say this,but I think you are out of luck on using that receiver.I read over the site info on the Lego products and from what I can tell,it has a very specific use and a very specific transmitter.I don't think it will cross over for your intended purpose the way you had maybe hoped.I'd look into the IR receivers that are suggested by PC Remote.
    As for the support issue,I would think that,as an educational device,they would still answer specific questions about the IR capabilities of the receiver.I doubt that there were any differences between the devices,USB or serial.
    Mind if I ask what you are intending to use the remote for?

5. ALKERguitar

I was hoping to use it in conjunction with the PC Remote program to control Winamp, and maybe a couple other applications. As far as whether or not it would work, I know it would, because it does when it's in the mode that allows it to receive signals. But I think that because of the fact that is was designed mainly to send, not receive (although it does do a small amount of receiving), It may not differentiate between received signals, just say "Yes, I am receiving something"... I tried using a serial-port-watching program, and it looks as if it gives out a similar code for each different button I press on the remote. Same problem using that program though, it only sees anything when that dumb light is lit (I have to make it light up)... Argh, I think I'm just going to buy one of the suggested IR receivers. Thanks a million,

~Alker

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!