1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Repair

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Troy145, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Troy145

Troy145 Thread Starter

I was wondering if a hard drive could be the only reason for a pc not turning on because I took it to a repair man and he said my hard drive was the problem is this true?

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Possibly yes.
    Other possiblilities are: CPU, Motherboard Battery, Power switch, Hard Drive, RAM(S) and a dead Motherboard.

3. Troy145

Troy145 Thread Starter

Ok I got it to turn on but has no signal to the monitor or the mouse and keyboard if possible could I do a skype / phone call for more help if not just reply on here is there a fix for this?

4. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Try by troubleshooting as mentioned on post #2.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you read the guide at the top of the page for problem builds? If not, do so. If you follow ALL of the steps, you will find the cause of your problem.

Next, no one [other than you] has any idea what hardware you are running. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact cpu, exact pw supply, etc, etc, etc. Do not post 16gig of ram; post the exact brand and model# Do that for ALL of your parts. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand, model# and service tag#

6. Troy145

Troy145 Thread Starter

Brand: Gateway

Model: Gateway DX4870-UB318

CPU: Intel Core i5 Processor 3330

RAM: Nanya NT4GC72

Power Supply: Liteon - Model#PS-6301-08A3

Mother Board: Acer Gateway DX4870 IPIMB-AR

7. Troy145

Troy145 Thread Starter

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, to answer your original question, yes it is possible for a failed hd to stop the POST process however this is VERY easy to check. Simply pull the pw connector from the hard drive in question. Now pw ON and see if the system will complete POST. If it does, then you know it was the drive causing this issue. If you still do not get the system to POST, you know there is some other issue ie failed motherboard, failed pw supply, etc.

Next these are pretty old parts. Was this system working then just stopped OR did you add some hardware then the problem occurred?

9. Troy145

Troy145 Thread Starter

It just stoped and what's a system POST

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

POST=power on self test. This is when the system detects drives, tests memory, etc. At the end of POST, the operating system then starts ie windows, linux, whatever.

11. Troy145

Troy145 Thread Starter

Am I looking for anything when I unplug the power from my hard drive?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. System OFF, unplug the pw connector from the drive. Now pw ON and see if the system will complete POST. If it does not, you have other hardware problems.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW just my opinion however given the age of the system AND the fact that it is a gateway, I would not put much [if any] money into fixing this system. Gateway uses low end ie cheap parts and as such, their systems are not really worth putting much into repairing.
    If you can just replace a simple part like a pw supply, then it might be worth fixing. Replacing a motherboard or cpu, it not cost effective.

14. Troy145

Troy145 Thread Starter

Ok you tell me what you thinks wrong the CPU is running ,Hard drive is starting up, fans on, and the power light is on but there is no signal, and no power from usb

15. Troy145

Troy145 Thread Starter

I took it to a repair man it started up but was in a constant reboot state so he told me to repair the hard drive

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1191710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice