1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pc repairs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by icemn45, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. icemn45

icemn45 Thread Starter

i have an emachines model T2895 that stopped working. i was hoping that just the power supply died. i took it to a pc repair shop. the owner told me that when the power supply went, it spiked the motherboard. he said that the price of a power supply, motherboard, and new windows xp (because i couldnt just use the restore disk with the new motherboard) would cost more than just buying a new pc all together. he told me that he would be more than glad to repair it, but i should scrap it, or fix it for a backup, and just get a new pc. does this sound right, and if i decide to repair it myself, where could i get the parts ? any suggestions ? thx in advance

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Toss it, buy a new PC.

The man told you the truth.

3. Flags

Flags

icemn: The guy is probably right. And it may have taken out the Processor also. Figure $50 for a Mobo, $50 for a PSU and $100 for XP OEM OS. That makes $200.00 right there. His labor at a conservative $50 per hour and you've got $350 in it.

A new eMachine can cost you less and there is a 1 year guarantee.

If you repair it yourself, the total cost will be reduced. I'd talk with him and find out what it would cost you for him to build you a new machine equal to or better than the eMachine you have.

4. icemn45

icemn45 Thread Starter

i have another pc, i'm thinking of fixing the e machine either for the kids or as a backup on a network, so if i can fix it cheaply, its a plan. also, can u tell me if i can get the original copy of windows xp reactivated(?) with the new motherboard numbers and the old.

5. icemn45

icemn45 Thread Starter

and if anyone can, what is i cheap, reliable source for pc replacement parts?

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

www.newegg.com

7. icemn45

icemn45 Thread Starter

8. icemn45

icemn45 Thread Starter

9. Flags

Flags

icemn: Your emachine restore or reinstallation disks will not work with any other Motherboard. You will have to buy another OS.

10. icemn45

icemn45 Thread Starter

i thought that would be the case. if i can get these parts cheap enough, i'm not worried about the OS. thanks. any opinions on the parts or suppliers above?

11. griffinspc

griffinspc

I wish I could give you better news but those two parts are over $100.00 and that's HOPING the processor didn't get fried too. The parts you referenced are "you get what you spent", meaning they're cheap and I'd never start a build with them. And by the time you add an OS, well what's the point

If you want to give a PC to your kids go online and see some of the really good deals right now. I don't recommend Dell over anyone else but look what you can get for less than $400 today. Check this Dimension C521
    http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_c521?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice