1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Repeatedly Restarting, No Display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dismah, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dismah

dismah Thread Starter

I was given a computer believe to be broken. It is an HP p7-1410. They couldn't get it to transmit video to any display they tried. Long story short, I assumed it was an issue with the PC being set to a resolution that newer monitors didn't pick up on. I installed a video card from my old PC, a Radeon 5770 HD. I also installed a new power supply. I hooked it up to my monitor, and there was no boot screen, but after a minute or two the Windows 8 lock screen appeared. Supposed success. It still did the same thing, no display at all meaning no boot screen, wait a minute or two and get the lock screen.

It worked for the few hours before I went to bed last night and for about 8 hours today. I was playing a game when the computer suddenly restarted. I'm not sure of the cause. I assumed it was some rare error. It booted up same as usual and after a few minutes of being back in the game, restarted again. I decided it might be best to do a full reinstall of windows 8 through the W8 settings menus.

A few alert boxes later, the computer restarts to reinstall the OS. Computer boots up. No display. That's normal. Wait a couple minutes, still no display. Couple more minutes, no display. Hold the power button to restart. At this point I decided I'd try just to pop in my bootable flash drive with a W7 install. I boot it up and start spamming F12 and F10 to hopefully get the boot menu. Wait 5 minutes, still no display. Cut the power using the switch on the power supply.

Once again I boot up the computer and now the front panel stays lit as if it is constantly on, but the fans and mouse and keyboard lights keep going off and back on. I assume the computer is repeatedly trying to restart. It is still currently doing this and has been going on for about 30 minutes. No clue where to begin.

2. dismah

dismah Thread Starter

UPDATE: After having allowed this process to go on for over 30 minutes I decided to hold the power button to shut it off and restart. However it shut off immediately after pressing the power button. After starting it up again, I spammed F10 and F12 as before (out of frustration and foolish impatience) and then the PC beeped 6 times with the panel on the front flashing orange with the beeps.

The panel then turned blue and the mouse lights stay on and fans continue running. No more repeated restarts or whatever might have been the issue previously. However, upon restarting once again, without spamming f10 or f12, the six beeps and orange panel lights occur, then the blue panel lights and the fans and mouse lights stay on.

I will officially stop screwing with it until I receive a reply :p

3. replay

replay

what "new" power supply did u install
    how many memory sticks does it have???
    try taking a stick out and try to boot.............. then try the other

4. dismah

dismah Thread Starter

The power supply from my previous PC that has been working for 4 years with no issues.
    It has two, 4GB memory chips. I tried your suggestion and got no change at all.
    I am genuinely stumped haha

5. dismah

dismah Thread Starter

I replaced the power supply and video card into my old case. Different mobo, ram, hdd and cpu. Everything is operating as smoothly as before. After all of the other finagling I've done, I'm left with assuming it is an issue with the mother board. Any thoughts on that or new hypothesis are perfectly welcome.

Some additional information on the 'finagling': Remove CMOS 30s, replace, reboot - No result. Replace CMOS with CMOS from other PC - No result. Connect old hard drive to problem PC, disconnect problem PC's HD - No result. Cannot replace RAM in problem PC with older PC's RAM as it is not compatible.

6. trogdo

trogdo

Have you tried disabling the in-built graphics in BIOS?

7. dismah

dismah Thread Starter

I did think of disabling the on board video but unfortunately, there is no display haha. When I did get a display, it was only by waiting a couple of minutes after booting and it didn't show up until it was already on the W8 lock screen. I have not seen the bios or boot menu before and at this point am not even sure what is happening when the PC is starting up (what with the cycling restart about 10 seconds after turning on), otherwise I'd try to just navigate the bios by memory :p

8. trogdo

trogdo

Oh yeah, no display. Tried holding the insert key on boot? That usually boots the machine with default BIOS settings.

9. dismah

dismah Thread Starter

I was not aware of that! That's an excellent suggestion. If it is not the insert key, is there another key it might potentially be? Also will it matter when I start holding the insert key? For example immediately after hitting the power button, 3 seconds after etc

10. dismah

dismah Thread Starter

Wait. Removing the CMOS resets the BIOS doesn't it? Because I did do that.

11. trogdo

trogdo

If by removing CMOS you mean removing the button form battery, then yes, BIOS should be reset now.

I had a quick look at the Beep Code guide from HP, and it's not looking good, the CPU might be malfunctioning. Nevertheless, it is worth going through all the steps that guide suggests. Here it is: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07107

12. dismah

dismah Thread Starter

According to the code descriptions, it is an issue with video/graphics. 6 flashes and beeps. That much was deduced from there being no display. I suppose it could still be an issue with the BIOS settings even at default? And since I cannot access the bios due to no display, I cannot disable the on board video.

This issue aside, there was still the problem of the system randomly shutting down even while it was using my Radeon 5770 HD. It was as if it lost power. No "Shutting Down", just total restart as if I flipped the power supply switch off and on and hit the power button immediately. But I suppose we can cross that path when we get there.

Another point to note is that after having returned the power supply and video card to my other PC, it has been operating for the last 6 hours with no issues at all.

Gee, diagnosing hardware issues is a blast!

13. trogdo

trogdo

Well I'm stumped, hopefully somebody more experienced will come along.

14. dismah

dismah Thread Starter

I can only hope. I'm not exactly in a position to afford to build a new PC and my older one is on it's last leg. Quad Core Duo, 4GB RAM, 8 year old MoBo. This desktop was a pretty big blessing. i3, 8GB RAM, 3 year old MoBO. Here's to an HP Guru passing by!

15. dismah

dismah Thread Starter

So, as an update, I decided I'd try a few different methods of resetting the BIOS outside of removing the CMOS battery. One of which is to have the computer off, hold the power button for 15 seconds, release and then power on. Since there is no display, I'm not sure what exactly is going on but I HAVE discovered that I can get the computer to alternate between two separate states.

If I hold the power button for 15 seconds, then power on, the 6 beeps and panel flashes happens, signaling an issue with graphics/video. If I turn the computer off with the power button, then back on, the 6 beeps and flashes happen again. In the circumstance where the computer has the beeps and flashes, after they have finished the panel turns blue and the mouse remains lit.

HOWEVER! If I turn the computer off and back on a third time, there are no beeps and flashes, just a blue panel as if the PC is starting normally. But then the mouse lights will remain on for about 10-15 seconds then go off for about 3-5 seconds and come back on again, repeat. Whenever the mouse lights come back on, there is a soft whirring sound inside the computer that is not any of the visible fans, all of which remain on, along with the blue led's on the panel, until manually powered off.

EDIT: As further evidence, I've assured the computer was in the second state, where when on startup there is no BIOS error beeps, I then removed the CMOS battery for 30 seconds, replaced it and got the first state, same as when holding the power button for 15 seconds.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice