1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Restarting on graphics usage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Escobar, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Escobar

Escobar Thread Starter

Problem started a few days ago with my pc restarting at random moments while playing PC games. It then started happening more often, and now it happens every single time i start a game, any game.

M5A97 LE R2.0 Motherboard

Thermaltake M750W PSU, Modular
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core (not overclocked)
    ASUS EN GTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP (driver v 347.52)
    Viper 3 Series, Jungle Green, DDR3 1x 4GB 1600MHz DIMM
    1TB HDD
    Kuhler 620 h2o water cooler

-CPUID/monitor and nothing is over 41c, although I cant see what it spikes to when I start a game and it restarts pc
    -Furmark v1.15 was run to test my gpu, and it restarted my pc when I started the test.
    -Prime95 on a blend (max stress/heat on ram and cpu) and it ran fine.
    -Windows event viewer is recording a "kernal power 41 / category(63) on each restart.

So its either my psu, or graphics right? quite possibly my bios battery?

Ive also had issues with my firefox web browser crashing , I can only assume it was from graphics error.

Thanks in advance, lets resolve this!

2. Escobar

Escobar Thread Starter

Messed with a few things and tested with starting up a game...i managed to play for about 5 minutes before pc restarted following with not being able to startup with beep codes.

Asus 1 long 3 short code is vga card issues

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    What motherboard are you running?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard in your computer supports up to 32 GB(8 GB X 4) of DDR3 RAM.

Considering you use your computer for gaming, I'm very surprised that you have a single 4 GB module in it.

Assuming your computer is running Windows 64-bit, you should seriously consider adding another 4 GB module or adding a 4 GB module in all 4 memory slots.

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. Escobar

Escobar Thread Starter

I appreciate the suggestion, this is something I was already planning on even tho my games ran fine for a couple years before my gpu issues.

If we can get back to the problem at hand . Thanks

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have an asus mb so download and install asus probe. Once you have probe installed, post your temps and voltages; specifically the cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Post both from a no load or idle condition and when you stress the system. Run either prime95 or IBT to stress the system. Here is a link to the support page for your mb:
    http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A97_LE_R20/HelpDesk/

Note probe is part of the asus suite however you do not have to install the complete suite. Just install whatever you want during setup.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

8. Escobar

Escobar Thread Starter

Asus Probe at Idle
    [​IMG]

Asus Probe while running Prime95 for an hour, at 100% CPU usage
    [​IMG]

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Those temps/voltages are fine so I would tend to think It is a problem with the video card and or driver. I doubt it is a pw supply problem since your voltages are holding fine under 100% load.

Have you pulled the card and given it a good cleaning with a can of air? If not, do so. This costs nothing and may fix your problem. When you reinstall the card, be sure it is fully seated in the slot. It is not uncommon for a card to "creep" out of the slot.

One other thing I notice. You are running the latest nvidia driver. Have you tried with an older driver?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I will be off for the rest of the night. I will check this in the morning.

11. Escobar

Escobar Thread Starter

Ive removed the card, cleaned it of dust, and brushed dust from the pci slot.
    -Ill try reseating it in the morning once again just to make sure.

With current driver, month old driver and the driver the card came with , the issue still remains.
    - I also used DDU program to completely remove everything nvidia related and start fresh

Im using the pc now, able to run programs and do web browsing. I can also see the card under dxdiag, so its registering as "working fine" it just doesn't when I start a game.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is put under a lot more stress when gaming than just running office or whatever. You would probably see the same thing if you ran a program that stresses the video card like 3D mark.

13. Escobar

Escobar Thread Starter

Yes. Pc restarted as well when I ran furmark gpu stress test.

Im going to try a new gpu today unless you think i shouldnt

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, the video card is the most likely suspect. Can you try the card in another system to be sure?

15. Escobar

Escobar Thread Starter

unfortunately ive gotten rid of all my other systems, i cant do this. I can always return it if it isnt the culprit

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice