1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC safe with 5 AV checks?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Gram123, Dec 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Hi guys.
    I included this question in another post, regarding a wider problem, but I figured I may be better off posting in Other Software.

My question is, could a security scan erroneously show a file to be contaminated with a trojan?
    I had some trojan problems that was ultimately resolved by wiping the C drive. Since then I have installed AVG, Tauscan, Zone Alarm and Norton System Works 2002 and used have also ran a virus check at HouseCall. None of these programs threw up any viruses or other nasties. All of these protection programs have the most recent updates.
    However, then I visited the Norton site and did a security check, and the only thing wrong with my system was that it found a trojan resident in a dodgy game exe (now deleted).

Could the Norton site be wrong? Or could it have found something all those programs missed?

Thanks,
    Gram

2. beach51

beach51

Hi Gram,I would say yes,because the same thing happen to me not long ago.I run NAV,i check everyday for any updates,i also run a check at housecalls once every 2 weeks or so just to make sure.I saw Panda was running a free scan so i ran that one,and it said i had a virus in Word.Now i send e-mails out alot using Word,and nobody ever said they got a virus from me.So i just figured that Panda was wrong.Never had any problems with the computer and still run the scans like i said and always come back clean.

3. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Yeah that's what I thought, beach.
    The only difference being that you probably had a nice official version of Word and I had a dodgy game - i.e. a virus could feasibly have been saved onto the CD.
    Then again, I got the CD a few months back, so the AV updates should have picked anything up that was there.
    The only other thing I can think is that the game's exe file got infected, but then again, the game was saved on the D drive, and all downloaded files remain on C.

Ah well, I'm not going to worry about it, cos I've ditched the game now and my system is once again clear.
    Cheers.

Gram

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!