PC says Ethernet is not connected

Liam79

So I got electricians round to run a wire from the router below me upstairs through 2 Ethernet boxes to get a wired connection to my pc. I’ve tried this wire on my Xbox and it works fine but when I plug it into pc it doesn’t read the Ethernet cable, says it’s unplugged. I then tried a different cable didn’t work, looked online to find a solution none worked, then tried my wireless Ethernet connector plugged it into pc with the Ethernet cable and it worked but doesn’t have a great Connection because it’s wireless and I wanted to use the new wired one I just got. So this is my last option lol can anyone help ?
The pc is a gaming pc fairly new shouldn’t be a problem with the parts unless I wired it wrong...

cwwozniak

Chuck
Hi, Liam79, and welcome to TSG

1) It sounds like you may have a custom-built gaming pc. Can you please provide a parts list of all the major components and exactly what version of Windows is installed?

2) With the new Ethernet cable connected, open a command prompt and run an IPCONFIG /ALL command. The exact method will depend on the version of MS Windows you are running. Copy the full results to the clipboard, switch to the WiFi connection, and paste the results in a new post in this thread.

3)
through 2 Ethernet boxes
What kind of boxes are these? Some kind of simple junction boxes or routers and switches?

4)
looked online to find a solution none worked
Can you please tell us what you have tried that did not work. It will save everyone's time by not suggesting things you have already tried.

Liam79

Hi, Liam79, and welcome to TSG

1) It sounds like you may have a custom-built gaming pc. Can you please provide a parts list of all the major components and exactly what version of Windows is installed?

Intel i5, MSI MPG Z490 gaming plus, Corsair TX650M TX-M series, GeForce RTX 3060 and klevv bolt x 16gb ram. I’m running windows 10 pro.

2) With the new Ethernet cable connected, open a command prompt and run an IPCONFIG /ALL command. The exact method will depend on the version of MS Windows you are running. Copy the full results to the clipboard, switch to the WiFi connection, and paste the results in a new post in this thread.

3) What kind of boxes are these? Some kind of simple junction boxes or routers and switches?

just simple boxes with one Ethernet slot for the wire to run on the outside of the house and back in.

4)Can you please tell us what you have tried that did not work. It will save everyone's time by not suggesting things you have already tried.
Ive changed both (downstairs and upstairs) cables with ones that work, I’ve changed the ip address, checked for driver updates, tried disabling and enabling the Ethernet through pc, and obviously restarting, rebooting everything.

89863CB2-FE2E-4F12-AC41-14955E48B0B6.jpeg

cwwozniak

Chuck
You need a space before the /ALL part and the results should be much longer.

Also in addition to providing the IPCONFIG /ALL results., please try plugging the Ehternet cable to different ports on your switch or router; sometimes the ports fail.

cwwozniak

Chuck
When you tested with the Xbox and it worked, did you literally unplug the Ethernet cable from the Xbox and into the Ethernet port on the computer?

Has the Ethernet port ever worked on this computer?

Does the MPG Z490 motherboard's Ethernet port have status lights? If so, do they light up and/or blink with the cable connected?

Do the port status lights on the router or switch on the other end of the connection show any port activity?

What speed is shown for the Ethernet port in the Windows control panel?

tried my wireless Ethernet connector plugged it into pc with the Ethernet cable and it worked
Can you please explain what kind of wireless connector you have and how it is plugged into your PC?

Liam79

When you tested with the Xbox and it worked, did you literally unplug the Ethernet cable from the Xbox and into the Ethernet port on the computer?

yes

Has the Ethernet port ever worked on this computer?

The Ethernet port on pc works when I plug the Ethernet into the wireless adapter.

Does the MPG Z490 motherboard's Ethernet port have status lights? If so, do they light up and/or blink with the cable connected?

yes. So just checked and it does have a light but it only turns on every couple seconds for a split second. I checked with the wireless Ethernet and the light is meant to stay on when connected.

Do the port status lights on the router or switch on the other end of the connection show any port activity?

so the router does have a light but it just non stop flickers.

What speed is shown for the Ethernet port in the Windows control panel?

2.5Gb

Can you please explain what kind of wireless connector you have and how it is plugged into your PC?
image.jpgimage.jpg

This is how it plugs in and what it looks like.

sorry I’ve taken so long to reply been on holiday also really appreciate the help so far mate cheers.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, it looks like the hardware thinks you are connected based on the link lights. I'd consider checking to see if you need to reload the drivers or perhaps have the wrong drivers for your Ethernet hardware.

managed

Allan
With the new Ethernet cable connected what is listed under Network Adapters in Device Manager ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online