1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Shutdown after hours in idle?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zorb1, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zorb1

zorb1 Thread Starter

Twice, in the past day, my computer has shut down after several hours, during idle times. This hasn't happened before.
    1. Yesterday, it happened while I was at the office, so the system had been idle for at least some time.
    2. Last night, I went to sleep about midnight after using the computer with no issues. Woke up around 2am and the machine was on. Woke up around 8:30pm and the machine was off.

No power outages I'm aware of, either.

I've got Crystal Disk Info running, and the highest I've ever seen the hard drive temp is 50C, and that has been very, very rare. Usually, the hard drive has run in the 43-47C range.

System:
    Compaq Presario
    Athlon X44503 dual Core
    3 GB RAM
    250 GB HD
    Windows Vista Home Premium

No other issues like this with this computer, which I've had since mid June, prior to this. I've thought it's been a pretty good machine.:confused:

Any suggestions, tests or ideas as to why this might be happening?

Thanks!

2. Megabite

Megabite

It still might be a heat issue...with the CPU.....or could be the power supply........

Try turning off Automatically Restart...maybe a blue screen will come up next time and an error message will come up.

How to turn off Automatically Restart

Click Start then right click Computer choose Properties
    Then Advanced System Settings
    Under Startup & Recovery click Settings
    Under System failure uncheck Automatically Restart
    Click OK.

Check the CPU temps with SpeedFan go HERE and click on SpeedFan 4.38

3. zorb1

zorb1 Thread Starter

Thanks!

I've downloaded SpeedFan. Is there anything specific I should be looking for other than CPU temp (which is at 44C right now?)

4. Megabite

Megabite

Leave the PC on and Just keep an eye on the CPU temps and see if it gets higher......if the temps do not get much higher and the PC shuts down then it could be the power supply

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/848303