1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Shutdown when i plug my Flash drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yamazaki, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yamazaki

Yamazaki Thread Starter

Hey guys, when i try to plug my Flash drive into the motherboard USB port, windows just shutdown, it doesn't actually shut down, the pc just turn off, i have to restart the pc and the usb flash drive plugged in.

My mobo Model: GA M55SLI-S4

2. Yamazaki

Yamazaki Thread Starter

3. emoric

emoric

Hello Yamazaki,
    I have googled your mobo model and came across this.
    ----
    "Ok I have finally fixed this problem. It was the on board USB. I have added a USB2 PCI card and it works a treat now!" :cool:

4. Yamazaki

Yamazaki Thread Starter

so my on board USB is corrupted?, cause my pc is still in warranty and then i have to exchange my board by another one, is that what i should do?

5. mclarenvj

mclarenvj

or your USB stick is short circuiting the the power, causing your pc to imediatly turn off.

this use to happen to me until i made sure the case was rid of static electricity

6. Yamazaki

Yamazaki Thread Starter

i don't get it, how u get rid of static electricity?, id on't actually think that is the problem here, i think it's the on board usb that corrupted, i guess i should return it back to the store, not sure if that a good reason to exchange the board with a new one.

7. mclarenvj

mclarenvj

to get rid of static electricity, you have toopen your pc case, and get rid of all the dust basically. but use a anti-static cloth. but the way i did it was just to leave my pc unplugged for like 2 days...
    and your board shouldnt be corrupted

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I fixed this exact issue on a system here with this procedure.

First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

9. mclarenvj

mclarenvj

or you can follow john wills instructions and live...
    btw John will why you close the thread labeld
    AMD 3200+ Athlon 64 Processor making Data Crunching noise

10. emoric

emoric

If this has been sloved, let us know. I am very curious!

11. Yamazaki

Yamazaki Thread Starter

Johnwill, done, but i don't think it's the windows, because it happened before in the previous windows, however i'll try and reply later since i don't have a flash drive to test on atm, but i did the instructions you typed there and i hope it works, thanks.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice