1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved PC Shuts Display Off Randomly

Discussion in 'Games' started by senojj, Oct 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senojj

senojj Thread Starter

Please move if not in correct section, new here and wasn't sure where to post.

Alright so a few months back I built this custom computer.

CPU : Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard : Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    *Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card
    Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case
    *Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
    Operating System : Microsoft Windows 10 PRO OEM 64-bit
    Monitor: Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 165Hz Monitor

Unfortunately my new work roster requires me to work 60-70 hours weekly so I barely get time to play this rig however lately I have noticed the rig acting strangely. Basically when the system is on, it decides to shut off display completely without warning. I have changed cables, switched between HDMI and DVI, different monitors, all the same result. My motherboard isn't shooting any error codes when this event happens so my google search wasn't the best. I assumed it was due to a faulty driver update with my graphics card. I have attempted to install previous versions with some luck. Currently Nvidia's latest drive is 375.57 – October 20th. This version nearly triggers the event every 1-5 minutes where I then have to reboot the system to get it displaying correctly again. I am currently running the 368.25 – May 26th one with only 1 event triggered in the past 2 hours. So I am not sure what is going on. So I was hoping maybe some other people out there have similar experiences or may have some knowledge about this. My other alternative is to do a wipe and see if that fixes anything before resulting in buying/replacing parts.

The other issue is my powersupply. The fan on it never spins while the system is on even under heavy load for hours. As soon as you power the machine on, it does an initial spin then stop. I'read read and called my distributor and they stated the brand/model does that normally. It is a new technology where if the psu reaches like 70% load, it will turn the fan on. I would have assumed stress testing this rig on 4k, 165fps gsync benchmarks would have atleast triggered this.

2. senojj

senojj Thread Starter

I have multiple temp monitors active, none of which are overheating. The computer does not shut down itself, the screen just decides to turn off and say no input detected.

3. senojj

senojj Thread Starter

Alright with somewhat success my system has been running for over 8 hours and not one crash. It appears it may have been the cause from lack of power. It turns out the Corsair RM 650 x wasn't strong enough to handle the system even though everything runs between 400 W and 600 W peak. I upgraded to a Corsair AX 1200 i Fully Modular Platinum Power Supply for $380. This should future proof me encase I SLI a 1080.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1179937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice