1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC shuts down in 30 seconds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bdv, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bdv

bdv Thread Starter

A friend of mine has a problem with his PC and called me for help since he has no access to the Internet. So here is the problem: his fan was too noisy so he got a new one and tried to replace the old fan. The new fan didn't fit so he put back the old one. He pushed the Start button, the fan started working, the monitor turned on displayed black screen nothing happened and the PC turned off in 30 seconds. No error messages, no beeping. He tried to boot from a Win Installation CD - same thing happened. His PC is desktop Compaq Presario SR1020T, OS is Win XP Prof. I also need to mention that he has two HDD-s (he has no clue what model) and he was complaining that recently he was getting some HDD failure message when he was booting but the PC was working.
    I read some tips on-line and he tried to fix the problem but not success so far.
    Can anyone please help us out here? Thanks a lot

2. huggie54

huggie54

looks like he's wanting a new power unit

3. bdv

bdv Thread Starter

Probably, but it was working just fine with the old one

4. huggie54

huggie54

if it was a software issue it would keep trying to reboot,dont you think

5. bdv

bdv Thread Starter

well it is not a software issue for sure but we are trying to find out which piece of hardware is causing the PC to reboot. he is saying that everything is properly connected and the seated. I'm little worried about the fact that there is no beep from the mobo

6. henrybraun214

henrybraun214

Your friend has got serious problem with his Pc. First of all he should check his both hard drives throughly, if the problem persists then he should check out the model of his fan and make sure that which fan is being used is that right for his PC Model.

Henry Braun
    Social Bookmarking Service

7. bdv

bdv Thread Starter

The fan is the right one for sure - it came with the PC and the PC has been running with this fan for 2 years. My guess is that he must have messed sth up when he tried to change the fan

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you pull just the fan or did you pull the heatsink? If you pulled the heatsink, did you clean all parts and reapply thermal compound?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice