1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Shuts down suddenly without warning

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rktboy, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rktboy

rktboy Thread Starter

I've been struggling with this for months and am at my wit's end. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Basically, without warning, my computer, for no apparent reason, shuts itself off. No shut down. It simply shuts off, as though the power had been disconnected. (It might be worth noting that on starting it back up again, chkdsk doesn't run.)

At first, I though it was a random occurence and likely a hardware problem; possibly the Power Supply. However, my MoBo is set to power up the computer after losing power and, after one of these unexpected power downs, the computer doesn't start back up until I hit the power button.

I've also started to notice a link to downloading. Namely, if there's multiple downloads going on, it seems to trigger the problem. It shuts down almost every night, which is when I've got utorrent scheduled to run, and I've been able to trigger the problem reliably by initiating multiple downloads of podcasts in iTunes. It also seems to happen sometimes when web pages are taking too long to load.

It's probably important to note that the computer functions perfectly otherwise. I can tax the system with the latest games or a heavy set of video transcodes without incident, so I'd have a hard time believing it would be a heat problem.

2. Sponsor

3. Plantsman

Plantsman

Try this, right click on My Computer then on Properties. Click on the Advanced tab then in the Startup and Recovery area click on the Settings button. Deselect or untick the ' Automatically restart' option. Click OK, OK. Next double click on My Computer right click on the C: drive then on Properties. Click on the Tools tab then in the 'Error-checking' section click on the Check Now button. Select ' Automatically fix file system errors' then click the Start button. It will most likely say it can't be done now so choose to do it on the next restart. Click OK. After restarting your computer you will get a message saying Drive C: is about to be checked. Don't touch the keyboard and let it continue.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Maybe you should try it without uTorrent scheduled and see if you have identified the cause. ;)

5. rktboy

rktboy Thread Starter

Thanks for responding!

I didn't mean to infer that the problem is tied specifically to uTorrent. It happens with any sort of excessive downloading

6. rktboy

rktboy Thread Starter

Thanks for the response!

I've run chkdsk a couple of times before with no results but will try it again using your procedure and see if it helps.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/802292