1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Shuts down suddenly without warning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rktboy, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rktboy

rktboy Thread Starter

I've been struggling with this for months and am at my wit's end. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Basically, without warning, my computer, for no apparent reason, shuts itself off. No shut down. It simply shuts off, as though the power had been disconnected. (It might be worth noting that on starting it back up again, chkdsk doesn't run.)

At first, I thought it was a random occurence and likely a hardware problem; possibly the Power Supply. However, my MoBo is set to power up the computer after losing power and, after one of these unexpected power downs, the computer doesn't start back up until I hit the power button.

I've also started to notice a link to downloading. Namely, if there's multiple downloads going on, it seems to trigger the problem. It shuts down almost every night, which is when I've got utorrent scheduled to run, and I've been able to trigger the problem reliably by initiating multiple downloads of podcasts in iTunes. It also seems to happen sometimes when web pages are taking too long to load.

It's probably important to note that the computer functions perfectly otherwise. I can tax the system with the latest games or a heavy set of video transcodes without incident, so I'd have a hard time believing it would be a heat problem.

Based on suggestions from others, I have tried replacing the RAM and Network Card, but neither has had any impact on the problem.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

2. no fear

no fear

I'm not an expert by any means, but I guess there's no harm in having a bit of (possibly helpful) input...

It could have something to do with a faulty hard drive...I had something not so long ago where I had a lot of damaged secotrs, and copying things between disks would restart my computer (and sometimes never let it start back up)...

Have you got a spare drive you could test? Or if you have multiple drives, set the other 'good' one to the default download location and try to induce the problem.

I dont know what anyone else thinks of this...it could be completely wrong, but I guess there's no harm in trying!

3. Jones

Jones

I had a similar problem with the wife's computer not that long ago.

Random shut downs. No rhyme or reason, just 'CLICK', shut off.

Clean scans on viruses and spyware, everything up-to-date, hard drive diagnostics were fine, and no overheating.

Turns out it was the PSU. The 5v rail was failing.

I'd try swapping out the PSU and see if that remedies the problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/808697