1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC shuts down within 5-25 minutes of game

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adamzimb, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adamzimb

adamzimb Thread Starter

My specs are in my spec icon, I recently had problems going through the BSOD every 15-30 minutes. After dropping a lot of processes from around 75-80 to 60 i havent had BSOD since.

But now i have just installed my new PSU and i decided to overclock once more, but the intel heatsink just doesnt work as well as it use to and my CPU temperatures climbed to above 70c so I put everything @ factory clocks only changing the memory voltage to 2.1V.

after going from OC'ing to factory clocked COD WaW crashes every 15-25 mins online...and world in conflict shut down on me within 2 mins when playing. it just completely powers down and i power it up again and windows does not give me an error message to report. i will do a memtest by end of the day...also i just updated my Bios and I'm up-to-date with all known drivers, except my audio card i cant find an update for that yet.

Now i need any advice on what I need to check up on, and/or reinstall anything whether i passed the memtest or not.? thanks

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    sounds like overheating issue... question is, is it the video, cpu, or the the PSU.

3. adamzimb

adamzimb Thread Starter

k what is like the max temperature that a GPU, CPU, and PSU sustain before they give out? also how do i find out if its my PSU overheating? is this program good enough for my cpu/gpu temps?
    [​IMG]

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well if it shuts down... I would look at your CPU... though I am unfamiliar with the tests... i would suggest asking for this thread to be moved to Hardware where they can assist you in troubleshooting your parts.

5. adamzimb

adamzimb Thread Starter

ya i would guess it would be my CPU also since my PSU is brand new and has too many good reviews for me to think its that problem...and my gpu is good cuz if i put fan to 100% its temps dont go beyond 55-60c. thanks how do i change this thread to hardware?

6. RT

RT

You can click the Report link at the bottom right of any post, and request the thread be moved to Hardware...

7. valis

valis Moderator

moving to hardware per request.

8. BG-0

BG-0

Okay. Load BIOS defaults, only change needed boot settings and such. How did the memtest turn out? 60 C for E6600 is pretty high, but nothing really, really dangerous. Might still want to check the kill temperature for it. Also... Good reviews don't make a good quality PSu... If it's made by a crap company, it's made by a crap company. There will be more defect units overall if it's cheap, and yours definitely sounds like a cheap one. Might want to use it as an anchor, get a PC P&C 750 W instead.

9. Jazzuka

Jazzuka

Yeah ... COD 5 crashes all the time.... every 5 minutes it will freeze and I have to C-A-D to task manager to reset ..... it gets CPU spike ... tried all the solution on the activision site but to no avail. I only bought the computer 2 weeks ago. It plays COD 4 perfectly.

What should I do?

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
    E8500 @ 3.17 GhZ
    2GB RAM
    32 bit Windows Vista Home Prem SP1
    Asus GX260 HTDP Graphics Card
    Samsung 500 GB SATAII HDD
    Gigabyte GA-EG43M-S2H M-board
    LG Blu-ray Burner GGW-H20L
    Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
    DirectX 10

10. adamzimb

adamzimb Thread Starter

ya i loaded up BIOS defaults already....memtest and orthos test did okay...i ran them both for a couple hours each.....the CPU's reached 60-65c max on full load....and it didnt crash on me as if i was playing a game.....and ya i thought it was a good PSU for sure....but i'll have to return it and shop @ fry's cuz im tired of waiting through shipments. and...just curious cuz i dont know but is Ultra good @ PSU's?

also it just sucks i cant even play second life for more than.....5-10 mins before my PC crashes....i might try and get a new PSU if they will give me an exhange and if the 2nd one craps out on me too...then i'll go for a more known brand or the one u suggested...thanks

11. BG-0

BG-0

Jazzuka, might want to start your own thread here or in the Games section, sounds a bit more like a software problem to me...

Well, if the rig only crashes with games, meaning stress on both CPU and GPU, that basically pretty much gives the idea of the PSU not being enough.(maybe try with prime95(or other CPU stress test) and some game demo test loop/other graphics stresser running together?) Might be a defect unit, might be just simply not enough because it's what it is.
    I think Ultra is, like... A decent brand, still not of stable quality, like Corsair, FSP, Seasonic, Silverstone, Zalman, PC Power & Cooling, Enermax are.

12. adamzimb

adamzimb Thread Starter

well i think its the PSU for sure....maybe i messed it up when i was playing around with the Voltages and stuff......cause i reinstalled my old 600 watt PSU...and i played COD5 without crashing so far....and SL without crashing.....so far i havent crashed yet......so im definetaly returning the PSU.....i need a good PSU that can hold 2 maybe even 3 260GTX's when im upgrading downt the road....what will be a good PSU for something like that..that can also run a quad-core maybe even extreme?

13. BG-0

BG-0

14. adamzimb

adamzimb Thread Starter

cool that first link seems worthwhile....i'll try looking for that @ frys

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/770003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice