1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC shuts down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Callmedou, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Callmedou

Callmedou Thread Starter

My specs :

AMD FX(tm)-6300 Sic-core Processor , 3.50 GHz
    8 GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti
    Windows® 7, 64 bit
    550 watt power supply

I installed this video card about a month ago and couple days after that my pc shut down sudenly.
    About a week later it happened again (note: I have to w8 beofer pc starts up again).
    Today it happened twice whille playing heroes of the storm on high
    and using skype call.
    What could be causing this ? the cpu seems to run about 60C when this happenes but still why ? my specs should be fine for this video card or not ? Also i have an older video card installed atm and i get same heats on my cpu ...

2. bruce53

bruce53

What you might be able to do is to disable your old video card. Go to the bios by restarting computer, press f2, See if your old vid card is listed and simply disable. There may be a conflict with the 2 vid cards. Is your computer up to date? Do you have these drivers? https://driverscollection.com/?H=GeForce GTX 550 Ti&By=NVidia&SS=Windows 7 64-bit, Finally, have you checked the specs fully? http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-550ti/specifications. Try these things and see what happens.

3. Callmedou

Callmedou Thread Starter

But how whould that help ? and i only have 1 video card installed at the moment the 1 discribed above(750 Ti).
    And i dont have the 550 Ti you linked above i have the 750Ti !

4. replay

replay

What's the brand of power supply??

5. Callmedou

Callmedou Thread Starter

HKC V-550 this is my pcu.

6. Callmedou

Callmedou Thread Starter

HKC V-550 this is my pcu.

7. replay

replay

8. Callmedou

Callmedou Thread Starter

http://www.compustunt.nl/Webwinkel-...V-550-550W-Silent-Power-Supply-black-red.html this is my psu !
    I got my pc fro this site, it wasnt costum build exept for the video card.
    Yes i study in the netherlands.

9. bruce53

bruce53

You are right I gave the wrong specs. Here are the correct ones: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750-ti/specifications. I was under the impression that the old video card drivers were still running on your system with the new one also installed. This can cause the computer to keep shutting down if those drivers are still present. Let me also correct myself about the location of the video drivers. It should be under display adapters not under sound, video and game controllers in the device manager. Depending on the manufacturer, the old drivers could be causing the conflict so try to remove them. The 750 ti should have better performance with less power usage and 95 degrees c is the max., but I do not know for sure if the 60 c indicator has any bearing on your problem.

10. Callmedou

Callmedou Thread Starter

But my pc doesnt shut down all the time, i have had this video card for about a month now and it happened 2 times untill yesterday where it happened 3 times on the same day, now i installed my old video card and havent had a problem untill now, some also said that my psu is crap :/ .

11. bruce53

bruce53

This is what I came up with. If you have a 12v rail with 12 amps, it is absolute crap. especially if the manufacturer is unknown. The Corsair CX430 seems to be a much better choice. If your psu only has 12 amp this is not enough. Look at the 12v rail and 32 amp specs. below. I would not use your current psu.
    CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

[​IMG] (978) | Write a Review
    In stock. Limit 5 per customer.

12. Callmedou

Callmedou Thread Starter

13. replay

replay

I would try another psu
    The corsair cx430 is a good psu, I use it on builds a lot ....BUT with computers with onboard video
    ...... If You have a video card ( not sure of the power requirements for your card) it's a good idea to get a more powerful power supply
    Corsair is a great brand tho'

14. bruce53

bruce53

Okay. Look at your psu and give me the info. on it such as voltage, amps etc.. if there is info. available. I know it has 550 watts already but you have to look at amperage as well.

15. bruce53

bruce53

Thanks, Did you have to disable the onboard video drivers in the device manager as well before installing the Corsair?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice