1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Shuts itself down every night?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tkilb, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkilb

tkilb Thread Starter

Hello,

The computer I use at work has recently (within the last two weeks) begun to shut down every night. When I come in in the morning, the blue power light is on, but the computer is not. I have to push the on button to get it to actually come on.
    In addition, every day when I restart it, the desktop icons have been moved (reset) and the task bar is reset to be big. I reset these every day and then it happens all over again.

Our IT guy here doesn't know why it's happening. I have checked all the system power settings, the event viewer, etc. I don't leave any programs up when I leave the office. I use microsoft essentials (but that's not new or anything).

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Tracy

2. TekTime

TekTime

Hi Tracy.

What OS are you running?

1.) Are you certain no individual at the job is responsible for the changes and issues with your computer everyday? (think practical joke types)

2.) If "yes" to #1; what antispyware software and antivirus are you using on the PC? Is that handled via the IT dept and a server(s) or is there individual software installed on each PC? When was the most recent (clean) scan?

3.) Check your Power Options VERY thoroughly if you havent already, the Sleeping and Hibernation settings.

3. Smety

Smety

Although unlikely, it's possible that your machine could be overheating and turning itself off at night. Check inside the case and see if it's super dusty; if it is, clean it out!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice