1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pc shuts off after 3 seconds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dre_day78, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dre_day78

dre_day78 Thread Starter

I have a pc with a 1.7 celeron cpu, 768 MB DDR Ram, cd-writer, dvd-burner, a 40 gig and 120 gig hard-drives, and a Radeon 9700 pro video card. Also, the power supply says 400 wats. I bought it as a barebone system January of last year. Haven't had any problems until a week ago. When I try to turn it on, either it won't come on at all, or it will start to boot up, but after about 3 or so seconds, it shuts off. Any ideas on what could be causing this problem. I want to try to fix this myself, currently I don't have the funds to let someone else fix it. Any help given is greatly appreciated.

2. dai

dai

do you get any bios beeps
    check all the fans start up paticuarly the cpu fan

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

May be a problem with unstable power from the power supply.

4. dre_day78

dre_day78 Thread Starter

it would beep normally, the fans would come on, but I just tried to switch it on again, but its not coming on at all now.

5. dre_day78

dre_day78 Thread Starter

if you think it is the power supply, what supply would you recommend? I'm also in the market for a new tower and to upgrade the motherboard and cpu, but I dont want to spend a fortune. Any suggestions? I've checked out ebay, but I'm kind of wary.

6. SMASMASMA

SMASMASMA

I suspect your CPU cooling system, since I just got through dealing with a similar problem. In which case it is possible that your computer stopped booting up when the CPU finally fried.

Someone else installed by CPU and cooling system so I don't know what kind of thermal greese was used. I suspect the thermal greese because the CPU was sorking fine for a couple of years.

I installed an upgraded cooling fan, and new CPU using artic silver which solved that problem.

7. SMASMASMA

SMASMASMA

I suspect your CPU cooling system, since I just got through dealing with a similar problem. In which case it is possible that your computer stopped booting up when the CPU finally fried.

Someone else installed by CPU and cooling system so I don't know what kind of thermal greese was used. I suspect the thermal greese because the CPU was working fine for a couple of years.

I installed an upgraded cooling fan, and new CPU using artic silver which solved that problem.

8. dre_day78

dre_day78 Thread Starter

thanks, I'll try switching the cpu, or I'll just go ahead and upgrade with a new motherboard and faster cpu. Anyone know where I can find some at a good value. I wanted to upgrade to at least a 2.4 P4 cpu.

9. SMASMASMA

SMASMASMA

10. SMASMASMA

SMASMASMA

I would definitely invest in your CPU cooling sysem and artic silver as well. It's better to spend your money on that than to loose the entire contents of your hard drive like I did.

11. cstrike1217

cstrike1217

make sure the heatsinkand fan on the cpu isnt loose because i had this problem make sure the clips are down

12. rockinmale

rockinmale

I have to agree with gotrootdude. The power supply may be faulty since its a barebone case they use the cheapest power supply they can find.

I really doubt that the heatsink needs to be reseated. If it wasnt cooling the cpu properly the system would be warning you. No offense guys....

You asked about a good quality power supply. This is something everyone should have! The power supply is the most important component. You certainly wouldnt want to spend $500 on your system and install a $20 400 watt power supply. If the el cheapo psu fry's, you could be outta close to that $500 dollar upgrade.

Good names to go by is antec, enermax, fortran, and sparkle. Steer clear of allied, foxconn, and deer just to name a few. I have seen too many of these go boom!

As the saying goes you get what you pay for.....
    Good luck!
    rockin'male

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224325

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice