1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC shuts off, has trouble rebooting.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robblah, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robblah

robblah Thread Starter

I've been having a problem as of late, where the computer will shut off completely with no warning, attempt to reboot and fail. The power button light will light up, the fans whirr, but other things don't seem to be getting power. The card reader doesn't light up, nothing beeps, and the monitor doesn't detect anything and goes to sleep.

Often, I have to try rebooting five or six times before anything starts to happen.

Sometimes I can go for weeks without the computer shutting off, other times - like tonight, the shut offs occur almost every 5 minutes.

Games or HD video don't seem to cause the PC to shut off any more than usual. It shuts off even when I'm not using it.

Any suggestions on what could be the problem?

Computer Specs: Gateway Win 7, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300.

2. dai

dai

what are you running
    video card brand and model
    cpu
    m/board
    ram
    power supply
    brand
    model
    wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and temperatures and post them

any bsod error messages

no error messages usually point to heat or power as the problem

check the m/board for bad caps

http://www.badcaps.net/

gateway are known for their problem m/b's and psu's

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice