Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC Shuts off Randomly PLEASE HELP ME

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  l8oss 
#1 ·
I have a PC that I have been trying to fix for 2 years I BEG FOR HELP

here are the specs

MOBO Asus ROG Maximus III Formula https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_III_FORMULA/
CPU I7 860
GPU AMD 6900 SERIES
RAM 4GB of Patriot Sector 5 ddr 3 1333

Okay so the issue is the PC will shut off randomly when idle searching web or watching movies etc... no BSOD no warning shut OFF like u pulled the plug...

So first thing I did was replace the PSU and was shocked it was still performing these random shut downs

then I bought a new HDD and after installing OS and thinking everything was good POOF shuts off again so I got MAD and left this PC aside for a few months

then I returned determined updated bios left PC idle in BIOS to see if it would shut down in BIOS randomly and the PC DID NOT SHUT OFF in BIOS so PSU is working atleast

So I decided to install Linux on a USB and run a os through USB so the PC seems to not shut off when using USB OS but the moment I try to COpy a file to or from HDD POOF.... this made me mad and i left the PC aside for a few more months...

here I AM TODAY trying to get this thing going for the last time I went online bought a PCIE Sata Controller Card thinking that the issue is with the On Board Sata controller

So i got the sata controller in got the windows 10 going installed gpu drivers everything was looking great I WAS HAPPY and then it happen POOF i am now mad again but this time I am asking for help

I have bought a new HDD and PSU also tested different RAM bought a pcie sata controller card updated all drivers/bios

all temps are great nothing is getting hot or failing when running prime95 and furmark

I can Repeat the issue buy transferring Large files to the HDD other then that it will randomly shut off

See less See more
#6 ·
The first thing I see is that win 10 is not a supported os. Here is the support page for your mb. As you can see, win 10 is not listed under the download section. Win 7, 8, vista, and xp are supported.
With that said, I doubt this is the cause of your problem. Since you still have the problem when using linux, I doubt the lack of support for win10 is the issue.
Here is what I would do to troubleshoot the problem.
1 Download and install asus probe [probe is on the support page for your board] Once probe is installed and working, post the following info. CPU temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, 3.3V values.
2 Get a bright light and give the board a VERY close inspection. See if you find any capacitors that look like the pics below.

Attachments

#8 ·
The first thing I see is that win 10 is not a supported os. Here is the support page for your mb. As you can see, win 10 is not listed under the download section. Win 7, 8, vista, and xp are supported.
With that said, I doubt this is the cause of your problem. Since you still have the problem when using linux, I doubt the lack of support for win10 is the issue.
Here is what I would do to troubleshoot the problem.
1 Download and install asus probe [probe is on the support page for your board] Once probe is installed and working, post the following info. CPU temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, 3.3V values.
2 Get a bright light and give the board a VERY close inspection. See if you find any capacitors that look like the pics below.
thanks man will try this out when i get home sometime tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.