PC shuts off seconds after powering up...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SilentJJ

It sounds as though I'm having the same problem (or a very similar one) as dmdmkm on a PC I'm working on. I've worked on computers for years and this is the first time I have come across this problem. I was brought an eMachines T2341 (2300+ AMD Athlon w/ 250W power supply) that would no longer boot when the power button was pressed. My first guess was that either the power supply was dead, the power switch on the tower was broken, or the motherboard was fried. To kill two birds with one stone, I bought a new tower with a 350W power supply and transferred all the components over to it. Now when I go to boot the PC, it powers up for 1-2 seconds and then shuts right off. The only things plugged into this motherboard are a PCI modem and a stick of memory (128MB DDR PC 2100); everything else is built into the motherboard. If anyone has a suggestion that can help me either fix this problem or narrow the problem down so that I can identify exactly what's wrong with the PC (so I won't have to go though all of this again if it ever shows up in a future PC); it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Well, if you eliminated all the variables, it sounds like a MOBO/processor problem. You mentioned the memory is the same--try swapping that out, but it sounds like you know what you are doing--once you eliminate all possible problems (different memory, different video card (try external), different power supply and different case), what else could it be but the MOBO? :confused:

PS--Take out the PCI modem as well.

I've seen similar issues caused by rapid overheating -- possibly due to improper fan connections.

Like Rollin Rog points out--I had this happen on an AMD based machine with the heat sink not attached correctly, overheating and the MB based protection circuit shutting it down.

ETS

I've seen this happen as well. CPU's are designed to shut down if they overheat and they will do so very quickly if not properly cooled.

just get a new motherboard and processor. E-machines are junk. Unless it was free you got ripped off. Take that modem out and switch the RAM if that doesn't work trash it. I doubt it's a heat problem on that thing unless you think somebody tampered with the heatsink.

crjdriver

Some things to check.

1 Overheating. If the hsf is not installed correctly or if the hsf is not secured correctly, it will overheat and the bios will shutdown the system.

2 HSF. If the fan is not plugged into the correct header, it may shutdown. Some boards will shutdown if they do not detect a fan signal from the cpu fan header.

3 The third item I would suspect would be a power supply. Unless you bought a quality tower like an antec, the ps that comes with many cases is junk. I have a raidmax ps sitting here that came with a case my son ordered. I would not even let him power the system with that thing. It must weigh all of 1 lb. A real piece of quality workmanship.

Heat would shut down the system in 1 to 2 seconds? :confused:

I would think if he is starting out cold (not turned on for a few hours) that it could not overhear in 1 to 2 seconds--that seems to defy the laws of physics. How long does it take to heat water up? ;)

10 or 15 seconds I could live with!

The reason I say this is because I've forgotten to plug in my water cooling system twice now and the puter booted all the way to windows--granted by that time the processor was at 70 or 80 degrees, but we are talking at least 20 seconds. Remember, you have to go from like 25 or 30 degrees Celsius to 70 or 80--that can't happen in 1 to 2 seconds can it? I'm not trying to disagree with you guys as I have never seen it, so I guess its possible, but it just doesn't seem possible intuitively.

Although I guess it can't hurt to re-seat the heat sink! ;)

crjdriver said:
Some things to check.

2 HSF. If the fan is not plugged into the correct header, it may shutdown. Some boards will shutdown if they do not detect a fan signal from the cpu fan header.
Now this seems much more likely to me, although I doubt that crap board he has would do this! ;)

crjdriver

Actually the cpu can overheat in 1-2 seconds if the hsf is not attached correctly. This would be possible if one or more of the attachments on the cpu socket were broken. It would also be possible if the hsf is installed backwards ie resting on the lip. Although I would expect it to run for more than 1-2 seconds with it installed backwards.

I have a video here somewhere of an athlon running at normal temp and the hsf is removed. It smokes in seconds.

crjdriver

Just found the video. The athlon smoked in 4 seconds after removing the hsf.

crjdriver said:
Just found the video. The athlon smoked in 4 seconds after removing the hsf.
Ok--that's more than 1-2 seconds! :D

I still cannot believe that a CPU can go from 25 to 30 to the point of shutdown (which has to be 70 or above) in 1 to 2 second from a cold start--I just can't fathom that. I can understand a running computer that overheats quickly when the hsf is removed, but by then the temp is already double what it would be cold.

Mulder said:
Ok--that's more than 1-2 seconds! :D

I still cannot believe that a CPU can go from 25 to 30 to the point of shutdown (which has to be 70 or above) in 1 to 2 second from a cold start--I just can't fathom that. I can understand a running computer that overheats quickly when the hsf is removed, but by then the temp is already double what it would be cold.
think of it more as an electric heater or a light bulb element, heat is almost instantanious, water on a stove is not a good analogy unless you had enough btu's to vaporize the water instantly:D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online