PC Shutting Down, either power supply or Graphics card . . .

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

woody121

Hey all! first post and all, i hope you can shed some light on a rather unusual situation. . . .
I am running on a Dell , 1.8 mhz, 716 ram, 2 hard drives, and the defalt power supply and graphics card(which is not integrated, but really crappy bourd on a PCI slot).
Now, the problem: At seemingly random times, my computer freezes and goes blank, or freezes and resets. There is no warning, however, it seems that it is during periods of high activity, although not for sure. OFten when i click to run a program it will just *poof* reset.
My initial assumption was overheating by either the graphics card or CPU. I opened up the case and had it run like that, but the problem persisted.
I also suspected the graphics card - perhaps something was wrong with it?
Now, I do not know when the first one of these happened, or what started it. I dont belive it had anything to do with any recently-installed programs.
I am looking at a new graphics cards, but before i buy, I wanted to see if it could be my power supply. I do not have any experience dealing with them, however, and dont even know where to start.
Any tips, pointers, comments, or advice welcome!
Thanks alot!

woody121

Sounds like it could be power supply,they cause more problems than anything else.Thats probably where i would start. The first thing i would do is pull memory and reseat it and do the same with video card and any other expansion cards.Might even try not running all the memory and switching out and try different banks in motherboard.One time i was having problems and all i did to solve it was pull main ps from MB and reseat it.Start with the simple things.If you try different power supply it has to be a dell.

woody121

alrighty, what is "Reseting the power supply"? i am going to unplug nad exemin as soon as you see this post, but if you could specify, that be good.

Now, what ur saying about getting a new PS, why does it hafta b a Dell? Are there any exceptions? I Was looking at a couple other types online . . . .. . .
anyways, thanks for the tips!

PS-running XP

I was talking about unplugging the main power supply wires from the motherboard.Kinda doubt that is going to solve anything for you but you can try it.Best bet is reseating memory and video card. I was working on a dell i suspected had a bad power supply and tried one i had that was known to be good. Almost fried my good PS.After some research i found out dell PS even though they might have same plug ins are wired different.Many people have fried their computers attempting to use non-dell power supply,sucks but the way they do things.Thats why I build my own computers.

woody121

gotcha- well, now i am really going to do it, thanks for the heads up. Luckily, i also am buying a replacement CPU, Motherboard, and graphicsa all at once. So it shouldnt really matter too much - but do you know what kind of wattage i should be looking for? I will let ya know how the reset goes . . . .

For the average computer i always put a 350 watt and anything above average i put a good quality 400 watt or better.Cant buy one to big.

etaf

Wayne
Luckily, i also am buying a replacement CPU, Motherboard, and graphicsa all at once.
Is this from Dell or are you just expecting to use the dell case - if so you may have some problems with getting the dell case and motherboard to fit.

sounds like you may be better off - building your own PC

get a good case with a 350 / 400W powersupply - cost in UK around £35+
your already getting
mobo
cpu
graphics card
and I think you may get better value for money by buying a make other than dell - but post details to confirm
then you need memory - not sure if the dell memory will transfer
CD/DVD HDD from your dell should all transfer OK - again if we have details

to get full details of hardware
The program is freeware called EVEREST Home Edition v1.10 and can be downloaded from http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1&subpage=5
or http://www.belarc.com

then what to do about software - did you get an actual windows CD from dell - often they just supply a restore disc - and i think this disc maybe locked into the dell hardware/bios on the PC now - so if you change mobo could stop restore disc working - need further advice as i'm noo expert here

good luck

as i said if you can post some details - we can offer some advice if required

woody121

*quick post from school ehrre, ill add more later*
Ok-thanks alot!
I am looking at stuff almost exclusivly from tigerdirect.com right now, since they seem to have the best deals - I am using a very old case accually, a easy-to-mod tower, not the dell. THe dell case is a huge mess of plastic and metal, and although functional, cannot be modded or modified at all . . . .
I know at least 512 of the ram will transfer, bought it about 6 mounths ago, as for the Dell 256, ill find out - if not, its cheap these days.

Software - I was going to be keeping my current hard drives, so I didnt thik that I would need to get a new version of Windows. . . . . . but is that locked to the mobo?
Dell just gave me the restor disk, but another computer from a third party that my parents got has the full (professional) install disk . . . . . . . is it locked to just their computer, or can another computer use it?

As for the orignal problem, it seems that it went dorment after going through ad unplugging the graphics card, ram, and P/S from the mobo . . . . .. . but its only been 12 hours, so I am keeping my fingures crossed.
Thanks alot!

etaf

Wayne
you will have problems xfering the harddrive on a new PC - you do need to re-install windows along with the mobo drivers.
as far as your other questions - its copying software - so no advice from here

Before you buy anything from Tiger direct,check out newegg.com i think you will find if you compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges you will find the best deals there.I have ordered thousands of dollars of parts there .Their service is second to none.they have never let me down yet.I would order an OEM copy of windows XP there also,around 90 bucks.Will save you alot of headaches in long run and good operating system ,very stable.Let me know what you want to order and i will give you my opinion on what would be the best bang for your buck.I order parts almost every week so i know the best parts that work together.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online