PC Shutting down - temperature?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Whitefiver

Hi, all suggestions greatly appreciated.

My pc was running fine yesterday, and suddenly shut down (no blue screen - like pulling the plug out!) when it wasn't really under heavy load. I turned on again, and it got as far as the black windows screen before it shut down again.

Yesterday was warm, but not unusually hot.

This morning, I turned on and it ran for about or so 30 minutes before shutting down again. I have had the side off, and when I turn the PC on, all the fans are running properly, but it will not run for more than a few seconds.

In the past month, I have uprated the power supply (to 450W),and replaced a faulty graphics card. I have not touched the cpu (AMD1900+) for about 3 years

I run XP SP2, live behind a router, and have scanned with spybot and Adaware in the past few days. NAV2005 is on autoupdate too.

Sorry, I have no way of reporting temperatures that I know about.

Please can anyone suggest anything I can check to get this PC running again, as I am running out of ideas!

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

White.

Whitefiver

lotuseclat79 said:
Everest Free available at http://www.lavalys.com will inform you of the System, CPU and Aux temperatures.

-- Tom
I have downloaded speedfan which will do the same thing, but I'm not sure the PC will stay up long enough to install it!

Regards,

White

(Watching Silverstone GP and posting via ancient laptop - the joys of wireless networks)

Whitefiver

Whitefiver said:
I have downloaded speedfan which will do the same thing, but I'm not sure the PC will stay up long enough to install it!
I was right, Windows XP didn't finish loading (and that was with the side off and a domestic fan blowing on the insides of PC). I had everest ready loaded on a USB thumb drive too.

The CPU heatsink was only warm to the touch when the PC shut down.

Sorry folks, any ideas please?

Regards,

White

crjdriver

1 What brand power supply did you install?

2 Will your system start / run in safe mode?

3 Check your temps in the bios and post the result.

One thing that happened to me. I once had a pc that I just put a new sound card in, I accidently dropped a screw into the pc while I was adding the sound blaster. Well I forgot about the screw and it was just in the right spot that it would cause my pc to short circuit and shutdown (which is a good thing), and once I removed the screw it worked. Make sure you didnt just add anything and left sound touching where it shouldnt be!

Whitefiver

crjdriver said:
1 What brand power supply did you install?

2 Will your system start / run in safe mode?

3 Check your temps in the bios and post the result.
Hi,

The power supply was a JeanTech 450x atx - not super quality, but not a no-name.

I tried running from a plain DOS boot disk, and the Bios Temps were MB 39 degC, and CPU 48 degC just before it shut down. (<2 minutes)

I then quickly replaced the old Power Supply (a noname 300w model that came with the PC some years ago), booted with a DOS disk and went into the BIOS. Temps were then MB 34, CPU 54 and things kept running.

I'm going to tidy up, put the side back on, and take the new supply back!

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

White
(PS I learnt something, there are temperature monitors in the BIOS!)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online