1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pc shutting off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by armly, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. armly

armly Thread Starter

While running an app. (itunes) my pc has recently started flicking off by itself - - to windows restart mode (XP Pro) - note that power did not shut down and stay off.

Does this sound like a power failure glitch (internal power supply - as backup is not affected) OR possibly the motherboard OR processor?

How can I tell the source of this?

Its been awhile since vacuuming inside the case, so there is an off-chance at the processor overheating.

Unit is about 5 yrs old and power supply is original. Main drive replaced last yr. And it has a case fan.

2. burnthepc

burnthepc

A few things should tell you what the problem is:

Overheating: Download the free version of Everest http://www.lavalys.com/ and use that to monitor the temps on your CPU.

Ram glitch: Download the free http://www.memtest86.com/ and use it to test your ram.

I've had a similar problem. Here's a word of advice: Memtest caused the machine to reboot, but it wasn't the memory at fault. The CPU was overheating under load, so check the heat situation first.

3. armly

armly Thread Starter

burnthepc,

Seems to have been two things: cleaning pc, the processor fan and case intake were clogging and, the ram had a bad sector. Replaced the ipsg ram with crucial which I've never had a problem with before.

4. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

I hope the RAM modules are from the same manufacturer armly.

Nick.

5. armly

armly Thread Starter

MaverickUK,

ram modules are both Crucial.

Unfortunately, my pc shut down again right before making this post. So I'm back to square one. BTW- did a memtest on new ram - - checked out fine.

so guess it could now be:
    a) the power supply - but doesn't this usually stay off when the power goes out/hiccups?
    Isn't replacing this hit or miss? Is there a way to test this?
    b) http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=3&ps=UE&lang=en if I can interpret the output - hardware is not my area.
    c) main drive - Western Digital, I believe they make their own utility to test this.
    d) XP pro - -is detect/repair feature non-distructive?
    d) motherboard - and I hate to even say this, this would mean a new system. I doubt it, it is an intel board.
    e) bad cookie - I've had a bad/corrupt cookie do this before.

Also, each time the XP restart has been triggered, I've been working with different software each time.

6. armly

armly Thread Starter

After running Everest -- can't make the data out from anything.

Problem zones aren't exactly flagged.

I have no idea what this stuff means. Over 600 pages of it. Even running the tools.

7. burnthepc

burnthepc

Can you tell us the CPU temp using Everest when you start the computer(idle temp) and after 10 mins of running memtest? (temp under load).

Should be on the tabs in the toolbar.

8. armly

armly Thread Starter

burnthepc,

system stability test, right?

just a minute...

9. burnthepc

burnthepc

When you boot up everest it should have temperatures listed in the toolbar. The only thing to check is the CPU temp at idle and under load. You shouldn't have to run any tests

I was thinking of another windows-based memory checker when I wrote it - sorry for the confusion. Any demanding program will do. Have you any games to test it with? Those will load the processor.

10. CNTnut

CNTnut

ok, I have this same problem too, ever since I installed my new video card, which works with Vista supposedly, but was not tested with xp. If none of the other problems are the problem, then make sure your video card is ok.:confused:

11. armly

armly Thread Starter

This is running 100% for ten minutes.
    (temps are not listed on toolbar with mine - ver 4.50.1330

Attached also is video card quick report - but don't know what to make of this.

Installed PC Wizard but can't get seem to test video card with it, but I only see temps for processor (34 degrees) and main board (30 degrees) and general feature information

Attached Files:

12. CNTnut

CNTnut

I really have no clue about the report, but it could be any hardware, but my guess is that is what it is, hardware, hardware or drivers. Sorry I can't be of more help.

13. burnthepc

burnthepc

Armly looking at that output for the temps everything's ok.

So problem is
    1) not RAM glitch
    2) not CPU overheating

Anyone else have any good test programs to identify the cause of a dreaded power reset with no BSOD?

PSU could be at fault, but that's not really my area.

14. armly

armly Thread Starter

burnthepc,
    this is my thinking. LEft it running all day, 5-6 days a week over a period of years. Must have taken its toll.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice