1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC slow after power outage

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bjmcdevitt, Dec 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bjmcdevitt

bjmcdevitt Thread Starter

Several weeks ago, we had a blackout. When I rebooted my PC, everything was slow. Programs, internet, everything. Looked all over the web for a solution but found nothing. Wound up reinstalling Windows, and the PC was running like new again. Two days after the reinstall, we had another blackout, and I'm right back to where I was before. I've scanned for spyware, defragged the drive. I'm a novice, so I'm not really sure what else can be checked. I'm in no mood to do another reinstall, so any help would be great!

2. Dan O

Dan O

I never heard of the problem you are having after a power outage.

I would first try a Disk Cleanup, which is available in the System menu folder.

Next I would try a System Restore and select the day or 2 days before the power outage.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you are using WIndows XP, try System File Checker (SFC) as system files get corrupted on power outages.

Click [Start] [Run] and type sfc /scannow in the [Open] box.

(Note that there is a space between "sfc" and "/scannow")

4. Classified

Classified Banned

Looks like you really need to get an UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply.) before that happens again.

5. bjmcdevitt

I had already tried a Disk Clean-up. Just did a system restore to a few days before the second blackout - nothing. Trying SFC next.

6. bjmcdevitt

I ran the System File Checker. It probably asked for the disk 200-300 times. When it got done, I rebooted the system, and it's still just as slow.

7. bjmcdevitt

I spoke a bit too soon. After a few minutes, I browsed Fark.com. I have always had problems with viewing the photoshop contests. I've always had to stop loading the page, and view each image seperatly. I went to the last few contests, and each page loaded in about 10 seconds - record time for me. I do have a bit of a problem with things "sticking" a bit, and not opening right away, but I can live with it. Thank you all very much for your help!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/306680