PC slow down after video card installed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Zhona

Hi everyone!
First, Happy New Year to all!:D
Now, i just installed my video card, it's an ATI 9550 128 MB, and i notice that my pc slow down in booting up and even in shutting down. Is it really like this if you install a video card? Is this normal? :(
Thanks in advance for any ideas given:)

I don't know exactly what you have done so bear with me if this seems too basic.

Did you uninstall the existing graphics drivers from the old video card before installing the new card?

Zhona

Nope, do i have to? Yeah i can still see it in Add or Remove programs but cannot find in under Device Manager.

Zhona

I found three (it seems to me) that regards to my old display driver ( that was an onboard one) Intel (R) Active Monitor, Intel (R) Extreme Graphics Driver and Intel (R) Pro-Network Adapters and Drivers.
Do I have to uninstall all these three programs?

OK. Follow these steps.

1.Download the latest drivers from ATI(cat. 5.13). You will need .Net Framework 1.1 installed(available FREE at the windows update page under 'Software'). If you already have .Net framework installed then make sure it's up to date. This means keep returning to the windows update page until there is no more update available for .Net Framework 1.1.

2.Uninstall the old graphics drivers from the Add/Remove programs list. Reboot.

3.Upon reboot 'New hardware detected' will pop up TWICE. Click 'Cancel' both times.

4.Install the ATI catylyst 5.13 drivers and reboot. Done.

edit. Just saw your post. ONLY delete the Intel extreme graphics driver.

Zhona

Okey, I'll do it now but do I have to boot my pc after that?

Zhona

Okey, I'll do it now but do I have to boot my pc after that?:)

Zhona

Sorry i accidentally clicked twice. Don't be pissed ok?

Yes. After installing the new graphics drivers it will ask you to reboot.

On a side note. Typically once a PCI or AGP graphics card is installed, the on-board graphics should be disabled automatically. In some cases it might be necessary to disable on-board graphics in the BIOS.

I have to go make dinner for the kids. I'll be checking back in a few minutes to see how things are going.

Zhona

Thanks a lot Grips, got to tell you that i guess it works uninstalling the old display driver because i reboot my pc and it shuts down normally and in booting up, it looks faster now like before. But as you said again, I still have to go to the BIOS to change some settings there? Actually I already installed all the software included in this video card same time i installed that video card. And more info about this video card it's AGP 8x/4x. Ok, i'll go check the Bios, but actually i have no idea where to find the driver, i just navigate inside and i'll be back with how am i doing. Thanks a lot!

Sounds like it's automatically disabled. In which case if all seems well don't bother. Seeing as how your offline right now your probably checking anyway. You might try playing a game and see if all goes well. If so you should be good to go.

Zhona

Hi! Yeah I was checking the bios setup but can't find my old display card there. Under the Advance tab, Video configuration, i just see two things there, AGP Aperture 128MB ( obviously that is the video card i installed coz the old one is 64MB) and the other Primary video adapter. When i enter that it just appear two things again AGP and PCI. I didn't choose anything because obviously there's no PCI slot on my mobo. So i just exit without changing anything. So, do you think my pc is clean now with my old display card. Thank you so much. By the way, i assembled this pc 9 months ago and just upgrading a few things. My only problem now is my DVD-RW drive coz sometimes it can burn dvd sometimes failed at if ever it is successful, and i tried to play on my dvd player it will stop, then when press forward it will continue, so deppressing though. I treid to fix it first but then i gave up bring it to the shop for repair but then they said it's the dvd drive that is no good. By the way the brand is lite-on 1653S. Any suggestion for the best dvd-RW that can play normally to a dvd player?

I'm happy to have helped you solve your video problem.

Lite-on is a good brand. I'm partial to my NEC DVD-RW drive myself. As far as helping you with regarding playing backups on a stand alone DVD player i can't. It would be against forum rules. There is info out there though you just need to hunt it down. Good luck with that and have fun with your new video card.

Zhona

Oh i see, sorry don't know that. Just new here :) . But anyway, thanks a lot for the help with that video card. Shut down and booting up is normal again. Yeah, I did tried to search but too much info. so confusing though. I just tried to ask just in case you have experience though if that's against forum rules never mind then. Again thanks a lot. : D

No problem. Anything regarding peer to peer downloading and backing up commercial DVD's is not acceptable here. However it's not as complicated as you think;) .

You can mark the thread solved by going to your first post and clicking on "solved".

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online