1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved PC Slowed Down

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by LUIS39, Sep 18, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. LUIS39

LUIS39 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3069 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 222 GB (145 GB Free); D: 9 GB (4 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0CT017
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I tried all I know but no change-do I need a new PC?

Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reinstalling Vista (or "recover to factory defaults") should revert to previous speed.

However, Vista? Yes, you need a new computer or a newer refurbished one.

You might try some Linux distributions with the current computer.

3. LUIS39

LUIS39 Thread Starter

Txs-Yeah, I will have to get a Windows 10 after I move. Tomorrow I'll reinstall it and see what happens. Should I back up my important data?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you want to keep the data of course you back it up. Should always have at least two copies of any data you want to keep. And if you plan to "wipe" the copy from the hard drive with an install of the OS that means you have two other copies (preferably on different types of media).

5. LUIS39

LUIS39 Thread Starter

I will be getting Windows 10 as soon as I move.

I just re-installed Home Vista.

No matter what website I visit, GOOGLE, YouTube, eBay, etc. I get this ridiculous message “Certificate Error. There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.”

“We recommend that you close this web page and do not continue to this Website”

I just ignore that warning and continue and when I try to download a free anti-virus software, it fails. For example at Malwarebytes, I click on he download button, it says “done” after a few seconds but there is no download.

He only success was with WPS as an alternative to MS Office and that happened automatically when I tried to open an MS word doc.

What can I do to get rid of these messages and be able to connect to other websites besides IE and DL an Anti-virus program? I did pay for one year of AVAST under the old installation-is that now lost?
    Thanks.

6. tecknurd

tecknurd

The error probably means either you need to update the web browser to the latest or the re-install of Windows came from the recovery partition that might have problems. Since Internet Explorer can't be updated, download Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. If possible do Windows Update.

7. LUIS39

LUIS39 Thread Starter

I did all that and there was no change so I bought a refurbished Windows 10 PC.

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

You probably forgot to set the system date and time

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice