1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC slowly dying after power outage, now in a reboot loop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MyPcIsDying, Nov 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MyPcIsDying

MyPcIsDying Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new here.

So today I had a power outage, which is not rare. What makes it rare is that after the power returned, booting my Windows 10 sent it to troubleshooting overview (I hope I'm speaking with the right terms here) with the shutdown error of "FATAL_PROCESS_DIED" (or something similar). I tried out just about every troubleshoot mechanic in the troubleshoot menu, save for cmd.exe's all options (I'm CMD illiterate), I tried unplugging the PC and holding down the power button for a minute and other stuff like that, but it did not fix the error. I also tried to reset the system, but soft reset failed immediately and hard reset failed at around 30-50% progress of the wipe.

Eventually (over 1 hour after the power outage) the PC no longer reached the troubleshooting phase, but instead received a black screen after the very first screen (I can still reach the custom ASROCK BIOS) (boot menu options and the like and yes, I tried to find a solution from that menu) and rebooting only to fail at the same step. I'm pretty clueless at this point, the hardware has no obvious failures to my eyes.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Continuous power outages, brown out conditions, and any surges when the power comes back will damage the computer. Not only physical damage to the hardware but it can cause corruption in the file system.

The power supply could have been damaged or the hard drive, or in reality any component in the PC. You may need to take the computer into a computer repair shop to have it tested, any faulty parts replaced, and/or Windows restored.

Any reason why you haven't invested in a proper UPS/battery backup unit that would protect you against this? Battery backups are fairly cheap and designed to protect your computer from power issues.

Most electronic device failure shows no visible signs.

3. MyPcIsDying

MyPcIsDying Thread Starter

Lack of knowledge, most likely (I don't really know what those are apart from what they do). What are the battery backups, exactly and where can one find them?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    They provide battery power to your computer when the electricity goes off. They also provide surge protection and compensate for low power conditions when the electricity doesn't go completely off but drops to a lower voltage.

Read up more here: http://www.howtogeek.com/161479/how-to-select-a-battery-backup-for-your-computer/

You can buy them at most stores that carry computers or electronics or online retailers.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    This is the battery backup unit that I have for each of my desktop systems and for my high definition TV.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101343

My area is prone to power flickers and brief outages, so having these battery backup units come in handy.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1160775

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice