Solved PC Slows Down When Playing Games Except Game Runs Perfectly

SolomonPritchard

Very weird problem that I cannot find a solution to online. On certain games, once the application is open, my pc slows down (I can barely scroll up and down a webpage on chrome or watch a YouTube video on my other monitor) but the game runs perfectly at max settings. Sometimes, this only happens once I am able to start playing (such as in For Honor, it happens as soon as I start loading into a match).

This is only on SOME games, since my other games (ie. Witcher 3) at max settings works perfectly with 0 issues whatsoever. I've had troubles with BF2042, Halo Infinite, Sherlock Holmes Chapter One, and For Honor so far. I have somewhat fixed Halo Infinite by matching the min and max fps to 60, and fixed SHCO by turning on vsync. I tried replicating these solutions to my other games but nothing was fixed. It seems each game has its own fix so I am now completely stumped.

I have been looking all over the internet for a solution to my problem but I can't even find anyone else who has encountered this issue before, let alone found a solution. I'm hoping there is some universal fix for this issue so that I can play my games normally without having to turn on vsync or only play at 60FPS.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210613055521.000000-240
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 25 Model 33 Stepping 0, CPU Count: 32
Total Physical RAM: 32 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
Hard Drives: C: 1862 GB (609 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X570 AORUS MASTER, ver x.x, s/n Default string
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n Default string
Antivirus: AVG Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210613055521.000000-240
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 25 Model 33 Stepping 0, CPU Count: 32
Total Physical RAM: 32 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
Hard Drives: C: 1862 GB (609 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X570 AORUS MASTER, ver x.x, s/n Default string
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n Default string
Antivirus: AVG Antivirus, Enabled and Updated
I'm not a gamer, but I'll throw in "my 2 cents worth" anyway.

The 2 TB(1862 GB) storage drive is about 68% full.
I'm guessing it's loaded with apps or with personal data or with both.
If it's loaded with apps, I'm guessing there are a lot of running processes.

Is that 2 TB(1862 GB) storage drive a hard disk drive(HDD) or a solid state drive(SSD)?
If it's a HDD, you should switch to a SSD.

A third-party antivirus app is being used instead of using Windows 10's built-in antivirus app.
Windows 10 can have issues when using a third-party antivirus app, so it's recommended not to use one.

The AMD processor(CPU) and NVIDIA graphics card(GPU) use a combined total of 455W of power.
What's the brand name and model number and wattage of the power supply unit(PSU)?

---------------------------------------------------

SolomonPritchard

I'm not a gamer, but I'll throw in "my 2 cents worth" anyway.

The 2 TB(1862 GB) storage drive is about 68% full.
I'm guessing it's loaded with apps or with personal data or with both.
If it's loaded with apps, I'm guessing there are a lot of running processes.

Is that 2 TB(1862 GB) storage drive a hard disk drive(HDD) or a solid state drive(SSD)?
If it's a HDD, you should switch to a SSD.

A third-party antivirus app is being used instead of using Windows 10's built-in antivirus app.
Windows 10 can have issues when using a third-party antivirus app, so it's recommended not to use one.

The AMD processor(CPU) and NVIDIA graphics card(GPU) use a combined total of 455W of power.
What's the brand name and model number and wattage of the power supply unit(PSU)?

---------------------------------------------------
Hey! Thanks for the reply. Not sure if this helps, but I noticed my CPU was at 90 degrees Celsius while playing For Honor, one of the games that is giving me this issue. My PC always ran at around 70-80 MAX. Making me think it's some sort of CPU issue, which is why it is at 90 instead of the usual 80 max.

SSD

I'll uninstall AVG and do a scan.

NZXT C1000 Gold is my power supply

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
90 degrees C doesn't appear to be a problem with your CPU.

If you're going to uninstall AVG, use its removal tool afterwards so it can find and remove any leftover file and registry debris from AVG.

Because you're a hard core gamer, I guessed you had a SSD, but I wanted to be sure.

How does your computer run when you're ONLY gaming and not doing multiple things at the same time?

--------------------------------------------------

SolomonPritchard

90 degrees C doesn't appear to be a problem with your CPU.

If you're going to uninstall AVG, use its removal tool afterwards so it can find and remove any leftover file and registry debris from AVG.

Because you're a hard core gamer, I guessed you had a SSD, but I wanted to be sure.

How does your computer run when you're ONLY gaming and not doing multiple things at the same time?

--------------------------------------------------
I thought that anything around 90-100 was bad for the cpu?

ANY game I play runs absolutely perfectly always. Its just that some games, make my entire pc slow to a crawl while some don't affect it at all. I never have any trouble running games, its just the weird problem of it affecting my chrome or other software and slowing them to a crawl.

Its very odd to me that the game runs perfectly at max settings, but I can't even scroll down a google chrome webpage while the game is open. When I look at task manager, my cpu hits a max of around 35 maybe and my memory will get to about 50.

managed

Allan
Try another browser (Edge ?) and see if you get the same slowdown.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts