1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC sluggish

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cfowen, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cfowen

cfowen Thread Starter

I have an old Dell XPS T700r, XP SP2. Shortly after installing XP, about a year ago, my system boots very slowly. The Dell logo stays on for about 4 minutes and it takes another 4 minutes before everything is up. About a week ago, the computer started becoming very sluggish after being on for about two hours. Page scrolling became jerky, both video and audio became jerky, and it took forever for folders and programs to come up. Shutdown took forever. The Dell logo hung forever on restart. I could only reboot by shutting it completely down and then starting it after a minute or so. Even then, it again became very sluggish after an hour or so.

I used checkdisk and defragged. I ran all sorts of scans for viruses, malware, and adware - all OK. On the day the problem started, I had coincidently increased my AT&T DSL speed. But, I tried running no internet, with the modem unplugged, and the PC still became sluggish.

The problem was solved yesterday by first shutting down the PC and then turning off the power, to everything, at the surge suppressor. When I turned the power back on, the PC booted up in a total of about 3 minutes - faster than it has in a year. I ran the PC all day with no problems. I did the same this morning and all has been well for 4 or 5 hours.

My question is, what is going on? It seems like, when I cut the power, something must have dumped. What can I do to restart as normal?

Thanks in advance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice