1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pc sluggish

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dude42ok, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dude42ok

dude42ok Thread Starter

anyone help me, had my pc 12 months, its very sluggish, any ideas? i,m on mel edition. ty

2. $teve

$teve

mor info needed dude,could be a number of things......do you mean slow in general or just on-line?
    system specs and anything else you can give us would allow someone to have a stab at your problem.

3. dude42ok

dude42ok Thread Starter

erm its getting real sluggish on line and off, ive tried clearing the browser but doesnt make much difference.

4. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

hey dude42ok,

Try going to Start > Run and type MSCONFIG and hit ok. Check and see if you recognize anything in the STARTUP menu tab that you do not need running. <B> You do need <I>system tray</I> and <I>Task Monitor</I> on, as well as your antivirus programs. </B> Uncheck any of the not needed boxes.

Do you Scandisk or Defrag it regularly? Try that too.

5. pgscott

pgscott

try running "ad-aware" from www.lavasoftusa.com.

I have lots of clients whose machine turn sluggish, both on and off the internet, and it's turned out to have "spyware" programs installed such as gator, onflow, bonzi buddy, comet cursor, imesh, etc. These programs sit in memory, often hidden, and take up memory, as well as constantly "chatter" to their host web sites about your machine and your browsing activities.

The ad-aware program goes through your memory, registry and whole hard drive looking for such programs.

Currently there are about 750 separate programs that qualify as spyware, and it's easy to get one or two accidentally, especially if you use music sharing sites or download screensavers or games.

6. esdxc37

esdxc37

what browers are you using

who is your isp

what kind of modem

7. hewee

hewee

Have you run a scan and defrag?

8. PeteBaines

PeteBaines Guest

have you tryed deleting your temp folder?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice