PC Soooo slooowwwww

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

The-Dyce

Hi, I have a Lenovo PC running Windows 10 and yesterday, with no warning, it slowed to a crawl on both Firefox and Google Chrome. It takes an age to open any page and videos etc. just keep jamming. I have run CCleaner and used the Optimise function for my hard drive. I have 1.42TB of 1.75TB free on my C Drive so there seems to be plenty of space. The tower is not overheating, and I use a BT Home Hub, which services other devices fine. I've read a few things about what to do but they're a bit technical and a lot of ads for various downloads to cure it. I do not know them and I am wary of whether 1) they're legit and 2) they'll actually make any difference. It's been running fine to date so this is sudden. Any ideas? Thank you

blues_harp28

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Check and post
TSG System Information Utility - found here.
https://static.techguy.org/download/tsginfo.exe
It is a trusted utility from this forum so let it run on your system and then post the logfile.
======
First run DISM.exe and then System File Checker.

In the search box type > Command Prompt
Right click > Select Run as administrator
In the Command Prompt window
Type [copy and paste]
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Press Enter.

Let it run to completion, it may take some time.
After you see a message that says 'The operation completed successfully'
In the Command Prompt window.
Now type sfc /scannow
Press Enter.
Again let it run until it has completed the scan.
======
To check the System File Checker log files
Go back into Command Prompt.
Type the following command and press Enter
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfclogs.txt"
There should now be a notepad file on your desktop.
Restart your computer and report any change.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

The-Dyce

Check and post
TSG System Information Utility - found here.
https://static.techguy.org/download/tsginfo.exe
It is a trusted utility from this forum so let it run on your system and then post the logfile.
======
First run DISM.exe and then System File Checker.

In the search box type > Command Prompt
Right click > Select Run as administrator
In the Command Prompt window
Type [copy and paste]
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Press Enter.

Let it run to completion, it may take some time.
After you see a message that says 'The operation completed successfully'
In the Command Prompt window.
Now type sfc /scannow
Press Enter.
Again let it run until it has completed the scan.
======
To check the System File Checker log files
Go back into Command Prompt.
Type the following command and press Enter
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfclogs.txt"
There should now be a notepad file on your desktop.
Restart your computer and report any change.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker
Thannk you. I shall let you know how I get on later.

The-Dyce

OK thank you. I did all of that successfully but Firefox (despite doing a Firefox Refresh) and Google Chrome remain painfully slow and not fit for purpose. However, I decided, just in case, a long shot, to see if Microsoft Edge was the same and, lo and behold, that is working like a rocket! YouTube a tad slower to load than usual, but no problems whatsoever. So I have NO idea why the other two platforms have just suddenly stopped playing for me. I think my PC may have some life left in it after all. Just wish I knew why the other two platforms have decided not to play nicely anymore. Many thanks :)

The-Dyce

I think this is what you meant; to post this: -

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20190930202038.000000+060
Processor: AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 48 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 12 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R7 240
Hard Drives: C: 1836 GB (1452 GB Free); E: 931 GB (291 GB Free); F: 931 GB (545 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO Bantry CRB, ver 31900058 STD, s/n R3010KT3
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 1280, s/n R3010KT3
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Also, thank you for all of your help. Using the prompt from Edge to upgrade Firefox, Chrome and Edge itself, I upgraded them (I thought they were upgrading automatically). Now, all systems are running like clockwork. Many thanks again, and if I have misunderstood what to do with that link, please let me know; my techie knowledge has some limits :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online