Solved PC sound not working

Al_Ciao

I've been using an external speaker setup for years, but it finally died today, so now I'm trying to get the default inbuilt speakers working, which I used nine years ago when I first got this PC. It's an HPE-210y model if that helps, though I've replaced the graphics card and power source.

For some reason I can't get the inbuilt speakers to play sound. I switched the audio channel from Speakers to Realtek Digital Output (which I assume is the default, as there's no other option). I clicked Troubleshoot, and it reinstalled the drivers. I plugged the cord that looks sorta like this except gray instead of black on the end ( https://www.cmple.com/content/image...headphones-cord-mp3-pc-75feet_NID0007026.jpeg ) from the monitor into all six ports on the back of the tower, but none of them produced any sound (with iTunes playing loud music so I could easily confirm if and when I got sound).

My volume is definitely turned up to max, so it's not that.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

SysInfo:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8183 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 919 GB (423 GB Free); D: 1862 GB (824 GB Free); E: 11 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: FOXCONN, ALOE
Antivirus: Avira Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Sorry if this isn't the right forum for this, I honestly can't really tell from the descriptions which one is most appropriate for audio issues like this.

crjdriver

I'm trying to get the default inbuilt speakers working
I checked the specs and you do not have speakers built into the system. The only systems that come with built in speakers are laptops or tablets.
Do you by chance mean the realtek audio?
Since you have a nvidia video card, are you sure of what audio you have selected? The video card is capable of playing audio through the hdmi cable.

Al_Ciao

I checked the specs and you do not have speakers built into the system. The only systems that come with built in speakers are laptops or tablets.
Do you by chance mean the realtek audio?
Since you have a nvidia video card, are you sure of what audio you have selected? The video card is capable of playing audio through the hdmi cable.
Eh? But when I first got this computer, it played audio by itself.

Maybe the audio was coming from the monitor? I never did know where the audio was coming from at the time. I'm running the audio cord from the monitor to the tower like I used to do all those years ago before I got a speaker system, but it's not playing any sound no matter which of the six compatible ports on the tower's back that I plug it into.

The monitor is an HP w2338h

What's the HDMI cable? Is that the one with a trapezoid-ish shaped end and two screws on either side? (Edit: No, according to Google that's a VGA cord, I don't have an HDMI cord.) I should note that I didn't have the NVIDIA card when I first got this PC, which is back when I was using the monitor(?)'s inbuilt speakers instead of a separate speaker system.

Edit: I managed to find, via Google, directions for hooking up the HP w2338h monitor, and I do in fact have the audio cable plugged into the correct port, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Could this be an issue with the audio cable not working?

Alternatively, could it be an issue with the port not working anymore? When I tripped over the external sound speaker cord (thus apparently causing it to stop working), it pulled its separate audio cable partway out of the tower port, and I wonder if that might've damaged the audio port somehow.

Last edited:

crjdriver

OK, you are not understanding. Desktops do not come with speakers built into them. They very often come with onboard sound ie a reaktek audio chip that is part of the motherboard. You still need speakers connected to the rear of the tower.
Go to control panel>hardware and sound>sound. What does it show for the default sound device? Here is a pic of mine. Circled in red is the default sound device ie soundblaster card.

Attachments

Al_Ciao

OK, you are not understanding. Desktops do not come with speakers built into them. They very often come with onboard sound ie a reaktek audio chip that is part of the motherboard. You still need speakers connected to the rear of the tower.
Go to control panel>hardware and sound>sound. What does it show for the default sound device? Here is a pic of mine. Circled in red is the default sound device ie soundblaster card.
Realtek Digital Output, with Realtek High Definition Audio written beneath that, is the Default Device.

My monitor does have speakers according to this: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01604006

And I know I had something playing sound when I first got the computer, without an external speaker system purchased later.

Al_Ciao

Weird update. There was, with no apparent cause, a loud pop of static, and suddenly the sound is working again. This is the external speaker system (which I had plugged back in as a test).

I have no idea why it's working again, or why it wasn't working before, but as the problem is solved (somehow), I won't take up any more of your time, and will mark this as Solved. Thanks :)

crjdriver

You may have had it plugged into the wrong outlet. With a two speaker setup, it should connect to the green colored audio port. A 5.1 system would go to the green, orange, black ports.

Al_Ciao

You may have had it plugged into the wrong outlet. With a two speaker setup, it should connect to the green colored audio port. A 5.1 system would go to the green, orange, black ports.
It was in the green port all along, though I had tried plugging it into all the other ports temporarily just to check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online