1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC sounds like it turns off

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kalxen, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kalxen

kalxen Thread Starter

While I am working, my PC makes a sound like when it about to turn off and then everything stucks for a minute (the streaming music makes a long sound, the programs stop working) and then everything comes back to normal.
    I have already formatted it because I thought that it was a virus but the problem remains. :eek:

What should I do? :confused:

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

This will most likely be a hardware problem so please follow the two tests below. Also check inside the PC and make sure it is all free from dust using a can of compressed air (availalbe from any computer store). Pay particular attention to the CPU heat sink and the heatsink on your graphics card if you have one. Take the graphics card out and clean the slot with the can of air and clean the contacts on the card with a soft pencil eraser and reseat it.

3. kalxen

kalxen Thread Starter

@ Mark1956: Thank you for your answer. I will let you know asap.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Your welcome, I'll be waiting for your reply.

5. kalxen

kalxen Thread Starter

@ Mark1956: I run all the tests that you suggested but the problem still remains. :(

I forgot to mention before (my mistake) that apart from the "stuck time", sometimes my mouse pointer is moving slower.
    I am thinking that I will probably need to buy a better power supply. Maybe this is the reason I am having this problem.

I am using Adobe Master Collection CS3 and whenever I use Photoshop things are getting worse. :eek:

What do you think?

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

Both of the tests were to do a diagnostic, neither will repair anything, what was the results for the Memtest and the hard drive test.

Did you run a full 8 passes with the mem test?
    Did you do an extended hard drive test?
    Did you check the voltage setting for your memory, clean and reseat the sticks?

7. kalxen

kalxen Thread Starter

I downloaded Memtest86+ and I am sending you a picture that I took with my mobile, during the memory tests.

Then I installed "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows" for my Western Digital HDD that I downloaded from the link of the manufacturer's site. No errors where found.

I do not how to check the voltage setting for my memory but I cleaned them and reseated the sticks.

:(

Attached Files:

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

When you ran memtest, in the line that goes across the middle of the page (in your photo), what number was displayed under Pass, as per my instructions this needs to reach at least 8 for a conclusive test.

As my instructions indicate, this is a long slow test and should ideally be run overnight.

At the beginning of my instructions for the hard drive diagnostics it says "get the manufacturer's diagnostics for ISO (CD) not the one for Windows". The one for windows is ok but the one for CD is far more accurate as it allows the diagnostics to test the drive while it is out of use by Windows. The Windows version you used is for runing on a slave or external drive.

Go here and follow the instructions so I can see your system details, paste then into your next post. Please also add what make and power (wattage) your PSU is.

Your RAM voltage setting will be somewhere in the Bios, Bios layouts vary considerably so it is difficult to guide you. It is unlikely it is set incorrectly but it has been known. Look for something like "Power Settings"

9. kalxen

kalxen Thread Starter

Ok. Thank you again. I will get back to you asap. (y)

10. kalxen

kalxen Thread Starter

Before doing all the things that you asked me to, I tried to copy/paste a file and then I got the message "cyclic redundancy check error" and my PC stuck completely and made the same sound.

So I asked a PC technician and he told me that my HDD had a bad spot. He adviced me to replace it which I did and now (for the moment) everything is ok. The sound I was hearing before it was from the HDD. Luckily I did not lose any files.

Thank you one more time for your help.

11. Mark1956

Mark1956

Glad to hear you have it all working again.

If there was a bad spot, usually called a bad sector or block, the hard drive diagnostics should have picked that up. Sometimes this can be caused by corrupted data which can be cleared by running the Windows Disk Check routine so that old drive may actually be ok.

If you hook the old drive up as a slave and assign it a drive letter you can then run the Disk Check on it. Click on Start and type cmd into the Run box, hit Enter and then type chkdsk D: /r at the command prompt. (Include the spaces in the command and replace the D with whatever drive letter is assigned to the old drive). Hit enter and it should run and display on screen what it finds.

12. kalxen

kalxen Thread Starter

There is no need to run all these tests. I installed a fresh new copy of Windows in my new HDD and everything is ok again.

I had already run the Disk Check on my old HDD and there were errors and this is why I decided to replace it.

13. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, that's good, just wanted to be sure you weren't discarding a drive that was still in working order.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice