1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC speed issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TerryArty, Jun 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TerryArty

TerryArty Thread Starter

Hi Guys.

My PC has gradually been getting slower & slower.

I've done a fresh install and have nothing on my hard drive except the programmes I need to run the applications I use, but my machine's still slow.

After the install i'd of expected it to run like new?

I've just bought but not installed 8GB of RAM and am thinking of buying an SSD card.

But I doubt this will solve the issue as like I've mentioned above. After the fresh install, I thought it would run like new.

All the scans I do state there are no issues.

HELP!!!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2046 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 297 GB (261 GB Free); E: 465 GB (434 GB Free); F: 1863 GB (668 GB Free); G: 931 GB (324 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., EP45-DS3P
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Installing 8GB of RAM will certainly help with speed issues. Win 7 will work with 2GB of RAM; just not that fast. Bear in mind: the OS will utilise a paging file for swapping in and out of RAM. Since this has to read & write to the HDD, it will be a lot slower than using actual RAM. Again, the addition of 8GB will make a big difference in your swapfile utilisation.

3. TerryArty

TerryArty Thread Starter

Thankyou . I must admit when I bought the system it had XP installed. I'm also debating an SSD card?

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

I'm not sure how much of a boost you'll get from a SSD. Your motherboard only supports SATA II, which handles 3Gb/s (throughput of 300MB/s), whereas SATA III handles double that (6Gb/s and a throughput of 600MB/s).

It'll likely be faster, but you won't see the full potential of the drive.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    cpu.JPG

Your computer has a very weak dual core processor and only 2 GB of RAM, so I'm not surprised at all that it has the speed and performance of a turtle.
    Adding more RAM and switching to a SSD should help, but don't expect any drastic improvement.

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. TerryArty

TerryArty Thread Starter

Hi again.

Installed the RAM & it's made a huge difference in uploading files/programmes speed.

It's still not much faster once on the NET but I'm guessing that's more to do with my provider?

Download speed is 46mbps - Upload is 16 mbps. I'm meant to be getting 80mbps.

Thanks again.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear adding more RAM has helped. (y)

Except for my Windows XP test computer, I refuse to have less than 8 GB of RAM in my other computers.

----------------------------------------------------------------

8. lynx1021

lynx1021

On your internet speed, are you wired or wireless? I had a similar issue with my download speeds. I am wired and I am supposed to be getting 100Mbs but speed test was only showing 50 Mbps. I have a cable modem and router separate. I hooked directly to the modem and I get 97Mbps.
    I had a old Belkin 300 type N router. Bought a new TP-link AC1750 router and now I get 93-96 Mbps.
    I have SATA II also but I caught a A-Data SU650 SSD 960GB on sale for $89 and cloned my hard drive and went from a read speed of 110 Mb/s to 280 Mb/s. Now my Desktop loads in 30 seconds and web pages load faster also, very pleased with the improvement. Keeping the hard drive for a back-up. Also put an SSD in my laptop (SATAIII) went from 85Mbs to 580 Mb/s.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  9. TerryArty

TerryArty Thread Starter

Also been onto my provider and should be getting a minimum 70mbps download, not the 40 I'm getting. So they're sending an engineer out. Hopefully that will solve my issues. Thanks again.

10. TerryArty

TerryArty Thread Starter

Hi I am wired. the providers have said there's a fault. But I still may get an SSD going off your comments. Thanks.

11. lynx1021

lynx1021

If you can find a SSD on sale for a good price it is worth it, I haven't had any problem with the A-Data Brand but it has only been a couple of months. Most recommend Samsung or Intel but they are still pricey. I did see the Samsung 1TB on sale the other day for $129.99 , it usually runs $137 to $150. Make sure the one you get comes with cloning software.

12. TerryArty

TerryArty Thread Starter

Ok thanks and will do. I never keep anything on my hard drive though. Everything is kept on externals.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can download all of the samsung software from their site;
    https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

The samsung data migration software is excellent. In fact all of their software just works. My systems have either samsung or WD nvme drives. FWIW the WD monitoring/software is a joke. Compared to samsung, it should not even show up. The WD drive works fine; just the software is junk.

14. TerryArty

TerryArty Thread Starter

Excuse my ignorance but what SSD should I buy. Some say 2.5 & others say .0 or 3.5?

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3P (rev. 1.0)
    memory

Slots: 4 (2 banks of 2)

Max Unbuffered DDR2 SDRAM: 16GB

240-pin DDR2 DIMM Banking: 4 (2 banks of 2)
    2GB DDR PC2-6400
    2GB DDR PC2-6400
    2GB DDR PC2-6400
    2GB DDR PC2-6400
    storage

Storage: SATA 2 - 3Gb/sSerial ATA support

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A 2.5 ssd [which almost all are] needs an adapter to fit in a standard hard drive bay. Here is a pic of one.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice