PC sporadically shuts down during moderate stress

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mahart02

Michael
Hello!

My desktop PC has started shutting off seemingly at random after almost two years of use. Whenever I go to do anything moderately rough on my PC, it kicks off (for example, playing League of Legends).

I have noticed a slight slowdown here and there, but I attributed it to running Skype/TS in the background of the game I'm playing.

First bit of research indicates a possible overheat issue with either the CPU (AMD FX 6300) or PSU (Rosewill LC-8500BTX 500W).

Tested the CPU using AMD Overdrive. Fan control lists 61.0 C and 28.0 C as Temperature for FAN0 and FAN1 respectively. Benchmark is showing a score of 10066. I ran the full Stability test, takes around an hour. walked away after about 40 minutes, came back a half hour later, it had died again.

Attached are relevant(?) images of the information AMD Overdrive is providing. NOTE--I have not changed any overclock settings, as far as I know, this is still running as it should out of the box.
Benchmark.png Board Status.png Fans.png System Overview.png

Please advise as to next steps to resolve. I believe it is the power supply, but wanted to be sure before purchasing.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
We need more hardware information about your computer, besides the fact it has an AMD FX-6300 processor and Rosewill LC-8500BTX power supply, so do the following in it:
Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) to the desktop.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your computer will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

mahart02

Michael
Understood.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 6
RAM: 8092 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (400 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M5A97 LE R2.0
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
AMD FX-6300 3.50 GHz 6-core processor
It uses 95W and has an average benchmark score of 6337.
It has a maximum safe operating temperature of 65C.
cpu.JPG

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphic card
It uses 60W and requires a minimum of a 300W power supply.
It has an average benchmark score of 3684.
It has a maximum safe operating temperature of 95C.
gpu.JPG

ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard
It supports a maximum of 32 GB(8 GB X 4) of DDR3 RAM.

Rosewill LC-8500BTX 500W power supply
psu.JPG

-------------------------------------------------------------

You appear to have a single 8 GB DDR3-1600 module in the motherboard and have 3 empty DIMM slots.
If that's the case, I would add another 8 GB module and run your computer with 16 GB.

The output in the 12V rails appears to be 31A.
I would get a better quality power supply and one with more wattage so you have more leeway for any future hardware upgrades.

I'm not a hardware/gaming expert, so my input here is somewhat limited.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

mahart02

Michael
I have upgraded to a Corsair CX750M. Wil stress test and post results.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The "CX" series of Corsair power supplies are designed for normal use and not for the demands of gaming, so hopefully your new 750W one will be okay.

Your ASUS motherboard has dual channel technology - which is another reason why I suggested it have a pair of 8 GB memory modules.

---------------------------------------------------------------

crjdriver

Go to the support page for your mb;
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A97_LE_R20/HelpDesk_Download/
Download the asus suite and install at least asus probe. Once you have probe installed, post the following data; cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice; once under a light or normal load condition and once while stress testing. Use either prime95 or IBT for stress testing. Yes, you can use intel burn test on an amd system.

I agree with the above. The cx line from corsair is for a basic build ONLY. It is not intended for any type of gaming, overclocking or other stressful endeavor. The cx line is fine for what it was designed to do; run a basic system. In fact I have one here [in my home theater system however I would NEVER attempt to game with the system]

Just for info. I use and recommend asus motherboards however that particular board is about the MOST problem prone board asus has released in a long time. Just look at the number of bios updates that address system stability. Bios updates to support new cpus are fine; updates that address stability issues are another matter. That shows a basic design problem with the board that asus is attempting to fix with a bios update.
My desktop PC has started shutting off seemingly at random after almost two years of use
Just wondering. Have you cleaned the system lately? If not, give the system a good cleaning with a can of air.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online