PC starts but will not open windows

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ranward

My laptop will power up but will not go past the MS windows xp screen. Keeps returning to the blue screen of death, and then to the command prompt page. Cannot get into windows!!

MBR is probably corrupt.I think you need to run dos mode and type: FDISK /MBR.

But don't try this until some one else agrees with me.

MBR is "Master Boot Record" used to determine which partition a computer will boot from. The MBR tells the computer where to find and how to load the operating system.

ranward

Cannot get in by safe mode or any of the choices on the command prompt screen. The blue screen is only up for a few seconds, so I havent seen any codes...any way to freeze this screen to gather information. One thing is does say is beginning memory dump, then goes to the prompt screen.

ranward

Got something off of the blue screen, it says stop 0000218 registry file failure
the registry cannot load the file

any way to freeze the blue screen to get the information, only stays up a few seconds?

Not sure if it will work, but you can try hitting the "pause" key..
Mine is in the top row far right..

When you are booting the computer hit the F8 key and then shut down auto restart on error and then restart it and see wht the code is.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online