1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pc Struck by Lightning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by conor10, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. conor10

conor10 Thread Starter

Hi,

My PC was recently struck by lightning. Monitor is ok. I am getting a light on the power button but the PC won't boot up. Would I just need a new PSU? I have a light on the MB to. Can someone help me Thanks

Conor:p

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no telling the degree of damage. It needs to go to a shop if you can't test every part yourself or trade them out. Lightning can be very strange in the damage it does. One time, it took out my USB only, and the rest of the machine lasted a year after that. But other times, the whole machine is damaged.

The PSU is a good place to start, but it really depends how much you want to spend to get this back, considering that each part you replace may not be the problem and you would have to then replace another. You might do better getting a barebone kit and moving what hardware still works into that, hoping that the hard drive is OK.

3. conor10

conor10 Thread Starter

Is it possible to get a lead and attach it to my Harddrive on my PC and then to my Laptop to remove the Data from the Hard drive?

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Next time, back up your data (provided that you are lucky enough to get it back this time). All hard drives will fail, sooner or later.

6. conor10

conor10 Thread Starter

I have recovered the Data on the hard drive now and it is all fine. How do I get into the files I have on this hard drive that have been given administrator passwords on the Hard drive. I obviously know the password to log into my old PC but I don't know how to access the administrator protected files.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice