1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC stuck at boot splash screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mohittomar13, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mohittomar13

mohittomar13 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mohit Tomar
    I currently use a 600x900 resolution monitor, but couple of days ago I attached a 1080p Samsung Tv and used it as a PC monitor. When I returned back to my original 1600x900 monitor the PC got stuck at the splash screen and didn't boot. I tried reseating the RAM and my Graphics Card but still it is giving the problem.

Before i faced this issue i occasionally heard clicking sounds in my HDD, ran many tests but none reported any problem. I even posted a question about that here in TSG. I dont know what to do. Tried resetting bios by removing the small battery from the mobo but still the same issue.

I tried booting live Ubuntu CD and that gave some error with some text mentioning some problem with atapi sata something like that, forgot to write that error code and now it is not showing up. But the PC is not working.

It seems that my HDD have some issues. Don't know exactly whats causing the problem as testing the hdd shows no problem.

This pc is old that i built in 2013 but didn't use it that often other than gaming.

Following are some info that might be useful.

processor - i5 3470
    mobo - b75m d3h gigabyte
    ram - 8gb hyperX fury
    hdd - toshiba
    dvd - LG
    graphics - GTX 560ti OEM

thanks in advance :)

2. mohittomar13

First Name:
    Mohit Tomar
    I tested the HDD when pc was working.

3. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  4. kenbok51

kenbok51

In order to use Seatools properly in your case, you need to create a Seatools boot disk or flash drive and that's usually done from within windows. So if you can't create a boot disk with someone elses PC or another you own I can't see how that can help you right now. Obviously your posting here so you have a PC that works, right? Just removing the battery will not always reset your cmos, you should look for the cmos reset jumper on the motherboard to do it properly. It will have three pins and will be in the normal position when you find it. Then move it to the reset position and back again to completely reset your bios to defaults. You can also unplug the PC from the wall, remove the battery, and hold the power button for a few seconds if you can't locate the cmos reset jumper.
    Another thing you can try is to press F8 during boot to see if you can get to the safe mode screen and select "Last Known Good Configuration".

5. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    I thought you can still boot, if not can you boot into safe mode with or without networking?

6. mohittomar13

First Name:
    Mohit Tomar
    Today I removed the hard disk from my PC and used the live ubuntu CD to boot. Doing this the PC booted into the live session of Ubuntu.

Then I removed the live CD and reconnected my HDD and the PC booted without any problem.

I tried several restarts and the PC os still booting. So i guess the problem is solved for now.

However, can someone explain what was the problem? Why it didn't start before? Changing the screen from 1600x900 to 1080p caused this or my HDD is faulty??

7. kenbok51

kenbok51

1600 divided by 900 equals 1.777 and 1920 divided by 1080(p) also equals 1.777 so I don't see the problem with switching monitors, as far as resolution goes anyway. If it's working now I doubt the hard drive is faulty. Somehow I suppose the PC was looking for the 1080p monitor when the other monitor was returned to service. Did you try any of the proper cmos reset options mentioned above? Did you try booting to the ubuntu disk with the boot sequence set to cdrom first even though the hard drive was still hooked up the ubuntu disk should have booted without removing the hard drive no?

8. mohittomar13

First Name:
    Mohit Tomar
    I didn't try cmos reset options as mentioned above. Only tried the battery removal. And yes the HDD was selected as the first boot device when I 1st time tried to boot ubuntu using live cd (while the hdd was still hooked). During my second try i removed the hdd completely.

So should I believe my hdd will die soon?? Should I make complete system image backup??

9. mohittomar13

First Name:
    Mohit Tomar
    Downloaded the seatool but it is an .exe file not bootable. I need some bootable tool that can do detailed hdd scan.

PS- And in the complatibility list only till win 8 is supported i guess win 10 support is not included.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I highly doubt swapping monitors caused the problem. A more probable cause would be a poor connection on the hard drive and or a problem with the drive. When you removed the drive then reinstalled, you may have fixed the poor connection. Electrical contacts tend to "Clean" themselves when you plug/unplug.

With the system completely unpowered ie pw cord removed from the pw supply and capacitors discharged, remove the connectors from the drive. Spray with contact cleaner and reconnect. IF it was a dirty connection, that will fix the problem.

11. mohittomar13

First Name:
    Mohit Tomar
    Yep that could be the problem. But it is workinf now. I want something that can do an offline hdd scan in bootable mode. Anything that would be best for this purpose?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

To test the drive, use the drive mfg's diagnostic. Go to the support page of whomever mfg the drive ie WD, Seagate, etc. There should be diagnostic software for download. Run ALL tests; both short and long and see what the software says in regard to your drive.

13. mohittomar13

First Name:
    Mohit Tomar
    Unfortunately I purchased Toshiba HDD as it was cheaper compared to WD and Seagate. I checked their website but could not find any tool. Is there something generic that's applicable for all drives??

14. lynx1021

lynx1021

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The above is probably the easiest method. If you really want, you can boot the system with a linux live usb; install smartmontools then test the drive. Up to you.
    FWIW I would really ditch the toshiba drive and get a quality hard disk like a WD black series; again up to you.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice