1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC stuck in infinite loop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by brick334, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brick334

brick334 Thread Starter

I have been all over the net and it seems that what I am experiencing is either unique or I have not been using the correct terminology in my searches.

To start off, I have a custom built computer running windows 7 64 bit. Today when I came home, i decided to start toying around with UDK, (for those of you who don't know thats a type of program used to make video games) since I'm a Game Design student. Everything was fine, I started her up, got on chrome, went and started my download etc etc everything was fine. I even decided to start playing a game regardless of lag. Its at this moment when I accidentally hit the half moon button or sleep button which caused my machine to start to shut down. However, I tried to stop it buy hitting space and clicking the mouse buttons a few times to no avail. Finally, i waited till she was completely turned off and then hit space and moved my mouse a bit....nothing.

I tried a bunch of things and nothing got it to work so I hit the power button and presto something happened. It starts to boot up but then it shuts down. It conterminously does this unless i hit the power button and hold it. If i hit the power button again after i have stopped it it will just continue to loop. I get nothing on the screen/monitor.

So far I have removed anything USB, pc card by pc card, ram stick by ram stick, the hard drives, the cpu anything that might be cause the problem.

I doubt there is any type of overheating due to the fact that all of the components are rather chilled or cool to the touch. The PSU is also in working order. All of the info leds on my machine are also telling me its okay.

I could really use some help with this and I thank you for your time. I'm a game student but also and artist so for me my computer is rather important.

2. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Have you tried forcing it into the safe mode menu, by hitting the del key coninuously on startup?

3. brick334

brick334 Thread Starter

see, i dont even think I get the start up. Nothing shows up on the screen. What I'm seeing is basically the computer starting up and a split second or so later it shuts down.

edit: also, to better answer your question...yes i have. I have both a usb and an old school type of keyboard which both are hooked up in the back. Fun Fact: When using the old style keyboard, none of the light indicators come on, the ones for caps, num, and scroll lock.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Do the fans spin up at all....and have you checked that the Heatsink fans starts to spin on startup

5. brick334

brick334 Thread Starter

yes...they do...I have a P55 LE motherboard by EVGA. The nice thing about it is that its comes with a few cues on what is working and what is not. For example, if the ram is okay an orange led comes up, if the mother board has power even when off its got a nice blue one, and a green led for when the system is running.

What I'm seeing is that the memory and power are okay but the green led only comes on for a brief second before the entire system seems to shut down.

6. Megabite

Megabite

I wouldn't rely on the lights too much........how old is the powersupply?

So it doesn't even show the bios screen?

If you take all the memory out and startup what happens?

7. brick334

brick334 Thread Starter

I really hope its not the power supply...its brand new. its a Corsair GS600. I barely have about maybe four mounths with it.

I'm trying to at least get that, the bios screen that is. Nothing comes on...not even the little message at the bottom of the screen that usually says to press del or whatever the keys are.

By taking out the memory, that also includes the ram? I'm about to try doing that.

Edit Update: alright...so I removed the ram and unplugged both of my HDDs. Still the same symptoms; the machine starts up and the shuts down, fans spin but nothing else happens aside from some lights going on and then coming back on. you where right about trusting the LED lights. The orange light still came on even though there where no ram or HDD attached to both the power supply and the motherboard.

8. brick334

brick334 Thread Starter

please forgive my double post but this may be an important detail. This is my first computer that I ever built. As such I expected a few things not to work right off the bat. When my machine finally came online, it had this funny little quirk that I think I took for granted to soon.

Upon pressing the power button, my machine would start up, fans spinning, HDD starting up (i assume) and then everything would just shut down...wait a few seconds...boom it would do the same except this time completely boot up and it would be working fine.

9. Megabite

Megabite

Well could be powersupply or maybe Motherboard....do you have a powersupply you can try?

10. brick334

brick334 Thread Starter

none....I have only this power supply. The one from my old computer does not even have the correct type of plugs. Its strange though, the fan on the power supply comes on and even its light comes on. It changed but i doubt that means anything.

11. Megabite

Megabite

Where you overclocking anything?

12. brick334

brick334 Thread Starter

No...I never overclock anything.

13. brick334

brick334 Thread Starter

I'm guessing this is something rare?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice