1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Pc stuck on workstation screen

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Danrobinson, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Danrobinson

Danrobinson Thread Starter

Recently I was using my pc for gaming on windows 10 and it simply turned itself off ever since then whenever I’ve turned it on it only displays the workstation screen and nothing else. Any idea on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated even if I have to loose all my data

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What make and model PC is it ? What is shown on the 'workstation' screen ?

Can you get into the Bios Setup ? The key to press to do so could be shown on the screen.

3. Danrobinson

It’s a custom pc and it only shows what is in the ss I’ve tried switching all boot devices but all day no device can be read

Attached Files:

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Does pressing DEL at that screen get you into the Bios ?

5. Danrobinson

Yes it does and shows this screen

Attached Files:

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That screen is showing the DVD drive (Liteon DVD-RW going by the iHAS124 part) but not showing any hard drive.

At the screenshot (SS) highlight 'SATA configuration' and try each option, save and exit each time to see if the hard drive shows up.

If that didn't help and you can get inside the case check the 2 cables going to the hard drive are properly connected, one comes from the power supply (PSU), check the other cable's connection to the motherboard. Best way to check them is to disconnect then reconnect them. The power cable may come directly out of the PSU, if so there is no connector at that end.

I noticed the day of the week looks wrong, is the rest of the info. on the SS correct ?

7. Danrobinson

ok I’m afraid I have to work tomorrow and I’m not at home anymore but I’ll try this when I get back and let you know if it works

8. Danrobinson

I’ve tried changing all the options and I’ve swapped the wited over and the cd always shows but never the hard drive also my hard drive clicks intermittently but repeatedly and I read that that could mean it’s broken if that is the case can you let me know and if it’s worth buying a new one of just starting again with a pc

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    As a final check move the thinner data cable from the CD to the hard drive, if the hard drive still doesn't show then it's faulty and you will need a new one.

You would have to install Windows onto the new drive. You can download Windows 10 and if it was already activated it should activate automatically again so will not cost you anything.

10. Danrobinson

When you say the thinner cable do you mean the SATA cable or the power cable ?
    And if I decide to buy a new drive will it come with windows or how would I go about installing it

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    The Sata cable.

See 2nd paragraph in post #9 for getting windows.

12. Danrobinson

Ok my problem is definitely the hard drive thanks for all your help I’ll see the windows paragraph when I need to

13. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome, if you need any help with getting the hard drive or installing windows make a new thread and we will be happy to help.

14. Danrobinson

Sorry I know I’ve marked this as read but could you possible post a link to the post you are talking about here ?

15. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Post #9 in this thread, here's the paragraph I meant :-

You would have to install Windows onto the new drive. You can download Windows 10 and if it was already activated it should activate automatically again so will not cost you anything.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice