1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC suddenly died on me, won't power on anymore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ZotteStef, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZotteStef

ZotteStef Thread Starter

During playing Diablo3 my PC all of a sudden shut down. No bieps, no messages, nothing, just black ... shutdown. Because it was this sudden my first reaction was a power outage in the house. As I was about to check the basement I noticed my screen still was powered on, so it couldn't be an outage.

I tried to turn the PC back on, but pressing the power button didn't do anything.

I did notice the top of the case was pretty warm (not auch warm) but still pretty warm. It's always been like this ever since I bought the PC.

I opened the side of the case and didn't really notice any burning smells or anything, but again, the inside of the case was pretty warm.

Now after a couple of hours the PC still won't power on, so something is probably broke.

I'm a complete hardware noob, so how do I go about checking what is broken?
    Is it the PSU? Or the motherboard?

When the PSU is 'on' I can see a green LED light on the motherboard. Is this possible when there is something wrong with the PSU, that the motherboard still gets power?

I'm willing to make the bet and buy a new PSU (because the current one is an unnamed PSU that was included with the low budget case).

Is there anything I can do to check components as a newb?

2. KevzJD

KevzJD

It sounds like your computer has overheated which is why the computer all of a sudden shut down. Try checking to make sure you've got some grey thermo stuff on the CPU.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Quickest way to check a pw supply is to swap in a known good unit. Note you do not even have to fully install the test unit; simply connect the atx power, aux power, and video power [if used] hit the pw ON button and see if the board will post. If it does, then shutdown and either fully install the test unit or purchase a new pw supply.

If it does not post, you will need to swap parts with known good units ie mb, cpu, ram, etc.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1053349

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice